Join the JN Staff
Well hello there! If you're here, you're probably interested in joining the JN staff! The positions that we're looking to fill will be listed at the bottom. If you'd like to apply, all you need to do is read below for full details about the application process. All positions at Jellyneo are volunteer.
Information for All Positions
Although we are adding folks for multiple positions, all of them require the following information to be included in your application. Please make sure you include ALL of this, as we will need it upon accepting your application.
- For every application, include the following basic information:
- Name (no last names please)
- Country where you live
- jnAccount username
- Discord username (if you have one--no worries if you don't)
- Neopets username
- Include a paragraph explaining why you want to work for JN, why we should bring you aboard, and what you think makes you a good fit. Brag all you like here.
- Read below to see what specific information you need to include for a particular position. (Sample articles, writings, graphics, etc.)
- Most positions on staff require you to know basic, standard HTML, so please make sure your HTML skills are clean and polished! (We can do some training here.)
Where to Send Your Application
You should send your application to hiring at jellyneo dot net. For the subject, please format it as: [Your Name] - [Position You're Applying For]
Here are some guidelines on what we're really looking for. We tend to accept exceptional individuals who take all of these guidelines into consideration.
- You must be at least 16 years of age. No exceptions.
- We welcome applicants from all over the world, but we do require that you have a firm grasp on the English language, as that is the language we produce JN in.
- Your application should be well written without any grammar or spelling mistakes.
- Please do not call us "JellyNeo" with a capital N. We prefer "Jellyneo" with all lowercase letters.
- We understand that our applications may take some time to put together. This is to help you gauge the work expectations we will have for you if you join the staff.
- If we ask for sample work, model it off of the content already here on JN.
- Don't use any fancy email formatting. Plain black text is good for us!
If you follow the above instructions and guidelines, you will have a much better chance at joining the staff! Now, onward to the positions that are open...
Item DB Crew
We are currently looking for some new, enthusiastic users who enjoy items on Neopets. You'll be aiding in maintaining the most visited and complete Neopets Item Database in the Neopian community. Crew members are primarily responsible for adding new items as they are released, updating existing items as needed, and gathering pricing data for all of the Neopoint items in our database. (See the responsibilities section below for full details.) Since pricing is a big part of the Item DB, we cannot accept Neopets users who belong to Mall groups or Neopoint investment groups of any sort. You will receive full staff perks, which include access to our staff chat, a caricature after 3 months, places in site events, the ability to contribute directly to other parts of JN, and refreshing soda in the staff panel.
- New items should be added to the Item DB daily, as released in the news and the NC Mall on Neopets.
- Items not released in the news but released through other means (e.g. midnight events, the Advent Calendar) should be added to the DB as soon as possible.
- Searchable and unactivated items should be regularly checked to determine if any have shown up in Neopia, or if an ID can be obtained.
- Any contact forms submitted to the Item Database should be reviewed, acted upon if appropriate, and responded to if possible.
- Items in our database should be priced regularly.
- Our Trading Post history data should be tagged as needed.
- All Staffers: Tag 250 Trading Post lots with prices from the wishlist, and review the tags for 125 lots from other staff members.
- Premium Staffers: A minimum of either 500 buyable items priced or 100 unbuyables priced.
- Non-Premium Staffers: A minimum of 100 unbuyables priced.
- Pricing buyables takes approximately 10-20 hours per month (the main limitation being SSW lock outs).
- Each month, Ian, our Item Database Head, will review the number of pricings and taggings you have completed. Going two (2) months without completing your required number will result in you retiring from staff.
Please include all of the required info stated above in "Information for All Positions" in your application. In addition, indicate whether or not you are a Neopets Premium member. You also have two tasks:
- Select a Neopian item and send in the following information about it: name, description, image URL, rarity, official shop category name, and item ID. (Aren't sure how to find an item ID? Learn how.) We'll need all of this information to test your item knowledge.
- Since tagging lots from the Trading Post is part of this position, please visit our Trading Post Tagging center and submit tags until you earn at least 30 points. (Be sure to review our guidelines as well. We will look at your tagging accuracy as well.)
In prior rounds of applications, we asked you to submit price changes for items in our Item Database. This is no longer required for the application.
After completing both tasks above, send your application via email to hiring at jellyneo dot net, with both your name and "Item DB Application" in the subject line.
Please have your applications in by Friday, April 6th. We will have an answer for you by the 11th, if not sooner.
Jellyneo is constantly on the lookout for exceptional writers and expert Neopians. As a content writer on JN, you will be responsible for writing new content for games, features, and events (as well as old ones we're missing guides for). You should be a dedicated Neopets player.
"Content writer" means a lot at Jellyneo. It's not strictly writing. You should expect to be writing new guides when we need them, updating older content as necessary, responding to bug reports and fixing errors, and more. A lot of the content projects are self-started, so we like initiative!
Since writing is a key aspect, you will need to include a sample guide in your application. Instructions for that are below in "Application Details." If you have ever maintained or published content on a petpage, please send examples of those as well.
As a content writer, you will receive full staff perks, which include access to our staff chat, a caricature after 3 months, places in site events, and refreshing soda in the staff panel.
- Complete a "significant" content project each month--whether that's writing new content, revamping and augmenting existing content, or fixing a number of bug reports. Coordinate with Chesu.
Please include all of the required info stated in the "Information for All Positions" section above. For your sample piece of work, please take our Lever of DOOM article or our Sakhmet Solitaire game guide and revamp it. You should do some basic research to find missing information or things that could be added. Your writing style should be short, concise and to the point. Give users what they want--information about the topic at hand, not fluffy writing! Please host your revamped guide on the petpage of one of your Neopets. Include the URL to your petpage with your application. Please send your application to hiring at jellyneo dot net, with both your name and "Content Writer App" in the subject line.
No deadline. This is on an ongoing basis.