Join the JN Staff
Well hello there! If you're here, you're probably interested in joining the JN staff! The positions that we're looking to fill will be listed at the bottom. If you'd like to apply, all you need to do is read below for full details about the application process. All positions at Jellyneo are volunteer.
Information for All Positions
Although we are adding folks for multiple positions, all of them require the following information to be included in your application. Please make sure you include ALL of this, as we will need it upon accepting your application.
- For every application, include the following basic information:
- Name (no last names please)
- Country where you live
- jnAccount username
- Discord username (if you have one—no worries if you don't, you will only need to create one if you join the staff)
- Neopets username
- Include a paragraph explaining why you want to work for JN, why we should bring you aboard, and what you think makes you a good fit. Brag all you like here.
- Read below to see what specific information you need to include for a particular position. (Sample articles, writings, graphics, etc.)
- Most positions on staff require you to know basic, standard HTML, so please make sure your HTML skills are clean and polished! (We can do some training here.)
Where to Send Your Application
You should send your application to volunteer at jellyneo dot net. For the subject, please format it as: [Your Name] - [Position You're Applying For]
Here are some guidelines on what we're really looking for. We tend to accept exceptional individuals who take all of these guidelines into consideration.
- You must be at least 16 years of age. No exceptions.
- We welcome applicants from all over the world, but we do require that you have a firm grasp on the English language, as that is the language we produce JN in.
- Your application should be well written without any grammar or spelling mistakes.
- Please do not call us "JellyNeo" with a capital N. We prefer "Jellyneo" with all lowercase letters.
- We understand that our applications may take some time to put together. This is to help you gauge the work expectations we will have for you if you join the staff.
- If we ask for sample work, model it off of the content already here on JN.
- Don't use any fancy email formatting. Plain black text is good for us!
If you follow the above instructions and guidelines, you will have a much better chance at joining the staff! Now, onward to the positions that are open...
Jellyneo is constantly on the lookout for exceptional Neopians. As a content updater at Jellyneo, you will be responsible for updating our large library of articles and game guides. Sometimes that might be fixing an error that a visitor notified us about, or other times it might be updating an old guide to meet our new content styling standards. Sometimes, it's even putting together an entirely new guide for a new event or a new feature in Neopia (with contributions from the rest of the JN staff). You should have some basic HTML skills, as our content is all formatted using HTML.
Since writing is a key aspect, you will need to include a sample task in your application. Instructions for that are below in "Application Details." If you have ever maintained or published content on a petpage, please send examples of those as well.
As a content updater, you will receive full staff perks, which include access to our staff chat, places in site events, and refreshing soda in the virtual staff lounge.
- Respond to and make changes based on reports we receive from site visitors.
- Update old content to meet our new content style guide standards.
- Help in the creation of entirely new content, such as event guides or articles.
Please include all of the required info stated in the "Information for All Positions" section above.
To judge your abilities, please check out the Contribute to Jellyneo page and read the "Missing Articles" section. Choose one of the topics listed (or, choose a topic that does not already have an article at Jellyneo). Follow the "How to Get Started" instructions and write up a basic outline for the article. (We will use this to judge your ability to organize content.) In addition, please write the introductory section of the article, and post that on a petpage, including a link to that petpage in your email. (We want to see what basic HTML skills you have—no need to get fancy!)
Your writing style should be short, concise and to the point. Give users what they want—information about the topic at hand, not fluffy writing! Please send your application to volunteer at jellyneo dot net, with both your name and "Content Writer App" in the subject line.
No deadline. This is on an ongoing basis. We will have an answer for you within 2 weeks, if not sooner.
In-Depth Battlepedia Staffers
We are currently looking to add to our Battlepedia staff. As a Battlepedia staffer, you will be responsible for maintaining Neopets' most respected source of weapon information. Rating weapons and writing new guides and articles about the Battledome are all different responsibilities you will take on. You should have thorough knowledge of battling and weapons, especially with how those things mesh together in the new Battledome. You will receive full staff perks, which include access to our staff chat, the ability to contribute directly to other parts of JN, and refreshing soda in the virtual staff lounge.
We are looking for applicants with a wide range of knowledge; whether you battle in specific leagues, focus on specific builds, or are a Battledome veteran. We want a wide range of perspectives to make our ratings relevant to everyone. If you have a unique outlook on the Battledome, do not hesitate to apply!
Duties and Responsibilities
- Write at least 20 thoughtful, well-formatted weapon ratings each month.
- Help with weapon testing when possible.
- Keep our other Battledome-related content up to date as needed.
- Positively represent Jellyneo and the In-Depth Battlepedia on the Neoboards and in the Neopets community.
Please include all of the required info stated above in "Information for All Positions" in your application. You should also provide some background about yourself, your knowledge of weapons, and what you could offer to the Battlepedia. We'll be taking a look at your battle pets as well.
As a small task, please choose one weapon and write up a rating for it. Your rating should include an actual number rating (between 1 and 10) and a small blurb explaining why you rated it the way you did. Act as if this were the first rating you were submitting if you joined the staff.
Send your email to volunteer at jellyneo dot net, with both your name and "Battlepedia App" in the subject line.
Please submit your applications by Sunday, October 27th. We will have an answer for you by Saturday, November 2nd at the latest, if not sooner.