Altador Cup XVI
Every editorial question answered just a search away!
Weapon stats and Battledome challengers!
Create your own wishlists!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Altador Cup XVI

Neopets Producer Update Video
  • Posted on July 30, 2021, 11:24 am NST

Scrappy and Gutterfoot have put together a new Q&A video while cooking various Neopian-themed dishes, like a Bacon Omelette.

Watch below...

Or, here's a text summary of their updates:

When will Lutari Island be free from the storm?
No official plans right now, but it's something they have discussed. (JN Note: Sounds like it's a matter of finding the right feature/event tie in.)

How do you plan to address account security issues?
(1) They are transitioning Neopets.com to HTTPS, and hoping to have it completely implemented soon. (2) They'd also like to implement 2-Factor Authentication.

Is the app ever going to be released?
There is no mobile app for Neopets.com—the new layout is being designed to be mobile friendly, so you don't need to download a separate app for the Neopets experience.

What is the best way to report bugs?
Best way is to send in a ticket via the Neopets support page. You can get there just by clicking "Support" or "Help" on the bottom of any Neopets page.

Will extra pet slots be coming with UCs? What about extra side accounts
Yes, extra pet slots are coming soon. But there won't be additional side accounts allowed (or linking accounts) any time soon.

When can we expect new avatars or site goals that aren't event related?
Recognizes that there's a need for more and new things to do on the site. Considering adding incentives to the games room to encourage playing certain games on certain days (sounds vaguely like the old Featured Game in the classic Games Room). Rewards might include trophies or avatars.

Will we get a remaster/sequel of the Darkest Faerie [PS2 video game]?
Not something on their radar now—but they are exploring games for the Nintendo Switch. (JN Note: very vague on details here, just like in the previous interview mentioning this. No firm plans, so don't get too hyped.)

lasergu, July 30, 2021 12:17 PM NST
Tbh, official support for side accounts (or "linking accounts" is one of the big features Neopets needs.
biediep, July 30, 2021 12:32 PM NST
"but they are exploring games for the Nintendo Switch"

Their latest survey made it sound like they wanted to do another Candy Crush knock-off, so ANOTHER Ghoul Catchers/Puzzle Adventure kind of thing.. I've never played Darkest Faerie but I'd MUCH rather have that type of game.

Hopefully the extra pet slots and UCs will be coming soon! When TNT says "soon," they mean what, within 10 years? Remember that next purge that was going to happen "soon" a decade ago, that STILL needs to happen?
biediep, July 30, 2021 12:36 PM NST
(Okay, I exaggerated, I just looked it up and the "decade" was actually 4 years lol but still)
cutypie349514, July 30, 2021 12:47 PM NST
Man I was really hoping for UC update.

I've been saying this since I first found out about side accounts but they really just need to add pets slots and let you join multiple guilds and have multiple galleries on your main account. That would eliminate the need for them entirely. Letting every user have 5 accounts but some of them have to be "sides" that are basically just storage makes no sense and it never has.
chrissy, July 30, 2021 1:17 PM NST
I was hoping for an UC pet update too. Pretty disappointed.
problematicperiplum, July 30, 2021 1:17 PM NST
Apparently the new match 3 game is something for the Vancouver team to work on
annw, July 30, 2021 1:21 PM NST
It's good to have some update. As for the next question- when will more of the games be converted so that we can play them?
1jediboy, July 30, 2021 1:30 PM NST
“What other questions do you hope they answer next time?”

Could there be a regular contest for user-made Neopets-colour concepts to be canon?

First Dialasong’s Maraquan Lutari,
Then Chantili_Doce’s Maraquan Kiko!

Whenever user-made colour concepts are utilized by TNT they’re critically praised!

While I’m on the subject, I would love as many “users making canon content” contests as there can be. Why not bring back the “Notable Neopet” spotlight and make the Notable Neopets canon characters?
dave - JN Staff, July 30, 2021 2:00 PM NST
@cutypie349514: I am pro side account elimination too! Just have 1 account, with the ability to have *all* your pets, multiple distinct galleries, join a few different guilds, etc.

Side accounts have severely complicated the number of rules you need to follow in Neopia. There are so many do's and don'ts we have an article (http://www.jellyneo.net/?go=sideaccounts) and we still routinely see questions being asked.

It'd be so much simpler to eliminate all of those rules and replace it with "one account allowed".
swevin, July 30, 2021 2:22 PM NST
"Please fix the Battledome "
Imagine someone posting that every chance they get. LOL!!

Thanks again JN for posting the important info so I don't have to watch the whole thing.
luuviick, July 30, 2021 2:35 PM NST
I would love to see a virtual copy of The Darkest Faerie for sale. I'm sure a port is easier/cheaper than a remaster, and as most people don't own a PS2 I'm sure many of us would be pleased to have the means to either play it again or for the first time.

This matter is dear to my heart because I collect retro videogames and I do own a PS2 and a copy of the game, and it's pretty great!! I really wish that more people could play it!
premium17, July 30, 2021 2:38 PM NST
Agree 100% about getting rid of side accounts, with extra pet slots and even extra gallery slots I dont see the need of 101 accounts
premium17, July 30, 2021 2:39 PM NST
Why cant the Vancouver team work on converting the flash games ?
jessalynn, July 30, 2021 2:43 PM NST
I really enjoyed this video. It's informative and fun!
sabriogando, July 30, 2021 2:44 PM NST
I appreciate that they are working on engaging more with the community
feels like a step in the right direction c:
dave - JN Staff, July 30, 2021 2:47 PM NST
@premium17: The Vancouver team is Jumpstart's native app group. (Unclear if just them or if there are multiple.) They are creating the Island Builders app, for example.

The Flash game conversions aren't native mobile apps, so a different team works on those.
mavegibson, July 30, 2021 2:56 PM NST
@cutypie349514, @dave - I completely agree - we need to get rid of side accounts. I'm glad that seems to be the direction they're heading in.

I really enjoyed the cooking video format. Was fun to watch.
cutypie349514, July 30, 2021 7:15 PM NST
@dave yes, exactly! It adds so many unnecessary and confusing rules. I can't believe we've all just adapted to it for more than a decade. Glad I'm not the only one!
remy, July 30, 2021 9:16 PM NST
"Will we get a remaster/sequel of the Darkest Faerie [PS2 video game]"? How is this a legit question? Why spend time answering this question? This TNT can't get around a cookie cutter annual event without messing up prizes, not only is the PlayStation 2 three iterations behind now but there are legitimately annoying bugs that they continue to ignore like Sponge Jetsams continuing to have no happy face which I realize no-one gives a poop about except me but everyone has their own TNT annoyance rn! Why are we talking about about PS2 games in 2021?
inkpot, July 30, 2021 10:41 PM NST
@remy
what's wrong with ps2 games in 2021... i mean, i never got to play the game myself, heard it was pretty alright and personally i would be very interested in buying an hd remaster for switch or pc or something... especially if it came with a redemption code for onsite rewards. would feel it may bring about a lot of nostalgic players back to the site too.

as an aside: hello to a fellow sponge sharky owner! we are few and far between, lol. i like my jetsam sad and melancholy but i get how that's annoying. a lot of the new cybunny colors are missing their tufts of hair on their heads and it irks me TO NO END to have bald bunnies but unfortunately these are just things we're gonna have to deal with not having me thinks, as like you said: too few a ppl generally care.
katina_choovanski, July 31, 2021 12:51 AM NST
Why oh WHY are the customization closets STILL not working??? My pets have been wearing the same outfits since last FALL!! I have spent thousands on wearables. I don't like the games--most of them. I don't do much else on here. But I DID invest *stupidly* in wearables. FIX THAT!!!
apophis324, July 31, 2021 12:52 AM NST
When are they going to address the fact that Neopets is not mobile friendly, but PC friendly instead? This is not a PC website anymore. Lots of the features, like the inventory, work this way because of mobile. So it's made for mobile and oh yeah sure, go ahead and use the website on your PC as well.

(Of course I still use the work-around.. as long as it lasts)
recklesse, July 31, 2021 4:47 AM NST
Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't include 'Will my pet die if I don't feed it?' in there.

At least they would have been able to give a clear and definitive answer to that.

Lutari Island?? Seriously??
Some Neopians have built up some wild hopes and expectations regarding a location that really only existed on specific outdated tech. The only thing I find crazier than that is TNT's continued tacit encouragement of those hopes.
skooarnd, July 31, 2021 6:21 AM NST
Are we getting access to UC pets????
clock_flower, July 31, 2021 10:44 AM NST
To be honest, I really hope it's not literally "buying UC pets" (which feels disturbingly like commodifying what are supposed to be the people of Neopia), and instead is buying the option to turn your own pet UC, which I think a lot of people would enjoy and would allow people to customize them however they like without making a new pet. Plus, maybe they could add a prompt as to whether someone wants to keep their pet UC or convert them whenever the paint them at the Rainbow Pool (as in, do they want the color to be UC or Converted if it's a color that existed before the conversion)!
I really also hope that they don't eliminate side accounts, because I like to make themed accounts for my sides and separate galleries and I'd be sad if that option went away.
surferboard_girl, July 31, 2021 6:13 PM NST
@Inkpot
I'd never noticed the Cybunny hair tuft thing and OMG! How is that something that any of them failed to notice during the new colours? That feels just lazy tbh.

As much as I like my side account name and it fits really well with one of my pets, I don't have the time for two accounts. Being able to combine to one account would be wonderful and while I know pros/cons for both, personally more pros for combining accounts (esp. if we'd be able to combine avvies that potentially one account has that the other doesn't??)
surferboard_girl, July 31, 2021 6:17 PM NST
Re: a NP app:

I would LOVE to have an app tbh. I truthfully hate playing NP on my phone and even with the updates on the site I find it really frustrating to navigate on my web browser on my phone and really feel like an app that focuses on making it phone friendly would encourage me to play a lot more.
beyondelsewhere, August 2, 2021 6:04 AM NST
The incentive I would need to play games in the games room is to have games in there. More than the 8 currently there that I do not like to play.
tryvegan4theanimals, August 2, 2021 11:06 AM NST
Thanks JN for summarizing!

"What other questions do you hope they answer next time? Let us know in the comments!"

1) Will random events be implemented in the beta theme any time soon?

2) Any plans for new p3s?

Also, I agree with everyone else that more pet slots would be great! And of course, converting more games (and fixing the score-sending issues with the current games, too)
tryvegan4theanimals, August 3, 2021 10:45 AM NST
3) Any plans to make p3s easier to get? Perhaps re-implementing the Random Event that grants them?