Altador Cup XVI
Learn the meaning to all Neopian words, phrases and acronyms!
Discover the characters of Neopia in our Book of Ages!
All the hottest looks, try them on today!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Altador Cup XVI

Zelda
Altador Cup XVI Results and Prize Shops
  • Posted by Zelda
  • Posted on July 8, 2021, 12:10 am NST

The results are in! The home team takes the Altador Cup title for the first time!

Now that the medal ceremony has taken place, you can hop over to the Prize Shop to select rewards for all your hard work:

Prizes for the staff tournament are also available starting today:

apophis324, July 8, 2021 12:13 AM NST
Nice for Altador to win their own cup for a change, but you're not going to tell me that these results are not predetermined. A team like Virtupets, that normally scores very well, being in last place this year? Fool the other one!
apophis324, July 8, 2021 12:20 AM NST
I'm also disappointed there is no prize jokingly commenting on how broken the first part of the AC was this year. No "Manual on How to Deal With Lag" or something. No "Clock of Inuriation", which would have made a great weapon. No "Have You Seen This Elderly Ixi?" poster
alessia, July 8, 2021 12:35 AM NST
These were the most cheated games ever. I've taken notes of the results day by day and I noticed that since the staff didn't take any early measures against LD and AL, many other teams started sending higher and higher scores as the championships was going on. The team that sent a notable higher medium score in the second half is Kreludor (for example in SS they startedwith 6-5-4 points and ended with 11-12-10 points....). LD had only the "fault" to be really too obvious, but AL has always sent higher scores than the average one and given their past history I'm having a hard time believing in their victory.
ziporen, July 8, 2021 1:42 AM NST
I noticed that as well, alessia. I saw multiple people that were adamant about only LD having "help", but I really doubt that.

AL did have help as well, but at least their scores were legitimate. (Not that I like ASGs either, but it's not quite the same thing.)
beyondelsewhere, July 8, 2021 4:41 AM NST
I have 5 whole points. I didn't play since I had just started a new job and had no time, and then the time I did have I didn't want to spend fighting with games I normally can't stand that weren't working well.

Did great in staff tournament though. But not one book in the prize shop there. Not to mention out of all the books only ONE is not boring to my reader pet. This is a first.
nefarity, July 8, 2021 4:56 AM NST
I did better than I thought I would, considering the games lagged horribly for me - rank 10. And it completes my 5th row of site event trophies, so yay!
Not sure what I'm gonna spend my points on yet, so I'll hold onto them for a while.

I hope next year they give us a new team themed sign up prize, because the frames have been given out for a whole decade now.
puffkins2000, July 8, 2021 6:09 AM NST
I only ranked 1 this year, mainly because I'm just so tired of the AC. It really bores me.

I also wish TNT would start putting 1NP items up, because I have 3NP left! >__>
niddyz, July 8, 2021 6:16 AM NST
@alessia, ziporen: Hi! I keep all the scores for KD on the boards. There are plausible explanations for KD's higher scores later in the Cup.

First of all, if I understand it right, scores are likely to be higher toward the end since there are fewer overall users sending scores due to burnout/achieving goals/boredom/the changes to YYB halfway through. If the 'results' we see at end of day are percentages, it is likely that the percentages will vary more when there are fewer users in the pool. (I /think/--someone with more knowledge please rephrase/correct if I'm wrong here.)

As for individual days and KD's results, I can share some of what I noticed in our score reports. Overall, on the boards, we began to play to higher scores consistently in Noise around 16-18 June, versus BV, TM, and VP. Averages went up 1k+ for most KD players. Versus Brightvale on 16 June and 22 June versus Kiko Lake, most folks played full games of Slushie/played to 700+ points before sending in the score. We think that improved our average score and thus our results at the end of the day.

In the finals, we continually hit record high totals on the boards in all four games. Everyone was sending high quality scores and as many as they could get in for the day, as one would expect in a finals situation.

There are bots on every team that we don't know about, to be sure, and maybe there were large guilds who joined teams or something and also influenced results. So if that's the case, then that's the case. But this is what I noticed for us and it seems to map fairly consistently to our results.
jessalynn, July 8, 2021 7:42 AM NST
DARIGAN CITADEL GOT THIRD!!!!!!
alli_draggy, July 8, 2021 8:37 AM NST
That monitor in the staff tournament shop is perfect for my retro software characters
bodhi, July 8, 2021 9:33 AM NST
Unsurprising that Shenkuu didn't win this year again. *sigh*
Was a trophy for our pages all that players get? I thought there was something else. Unless I'm thinking of a different event.
Anyway, I managed to stick with it to level 8.
ziporen, July 8, 2021 12:11 PM NST
@niddyz: I never referred to specific teams.

Higher average scores as the cup went on didn't just apply to KD, though. I'm pretty sure that all of the higher placed teams caught on to sending full Slush and MSN scores before finals. (Especially after the YYB changes on the 21st pushed more players to focus on side games instead.)

Yes, it also didn't help that a decent chunk of players/teams were burned out by finals. But even early on, even for my own team, I noticed some scores that didn't seem to make sense. (Both high and low.) I'm not sure if it's even worth getting into details over because it won't change anything, though.
serpentshrine, July 8, 2021 12:44 PM NST
Another AC closes, and another year I never even reached rank 1 lol. Was kinda planning to do that this year for real but the games were just unbearable.... I mean they always are, it was just even worse
contessa, July 8, 2021 1:12 PM NST
I was really hoping to get AS again this year, but with the problems I had trying to play some of the games and then actually going back to my work during the final week, I only made it to Level 14. Still, some of my guild barely made it to Level 2 or 3 because of the difficulties with the games so I should feel lucky to have gotten as far as I did.

I agree with puffkins2000 - why no 1 NP items in either the AC prize shop or the Staff Tournament shop so that we can spend ALL of our points??? This is an outrage!
marfbear, July 8, 2021 1:58 PM NST
No 1 NP items in the shops. That's annoying. I'll be stuck with 4 points left over in the staff tournament shop.

Maybe they didn't like us using the 1 point items for Charity Corner. My 46744 points will get me 934 Esophagor Snack Jars as opposed to the thousands of 1 point items I've gotten in years past (along with other prizes).
qwertybub3, July 8, 2021 2:35 PM NST
This is the first year that I didn't even get a Beginner or Participant prize. Do we know if this will impact my Sign-Up prize next year?
foxycleopatra, July 8, 2021 2:36 PM NST
Does JN have a prize shop guide? I saw the staff prize shop one- Thank you!!!
foxycleopatra, July 8, 2021 2:42 PM NST
Oops! Sorry, I found it!! That is again JN
bolimdechuva, July 8, 2021 2:46 PM NST
can't believe i lived to see altador get first place(!!!!!!) though all the talk about cheating is very effectively dampening my excitement and also bc i wished i'd ranked righer so i'd have at least a gold trophy on my lookup lol
maxgarou, July 8, 2021 5:31 PM NST
Time to spend a couple of millions on the prizes, I've been working on my thesis and had a lot of homework, didn't play even once, so... zero points to spend!
puffkins2000, July 8, 2021 6:39 PM NST
Okay, I wish there had been some lesser point items for the Staff prizes as well; the lowest item is 50, and I have 47 left! Arrgh.

Now I have points leftover from both areas.
ea111, July 8, 2021 8:19 PM NST
I managed to get only to level 1. I could not stand playing the main game with broken goalkeepers, sprites that would never load, dropped frames...

This means i am getting only some water coolers and unredeemable points ("_ _)

At least I can afford the Grundo CRT.

Go Brightvale!
nacbokmagi, July 9, 2021 2:09 AM NST
Honestly, it's been years since I stopped playing at all.
I don't know how you guys do it, I have literally no time for it with work, studies and life.
Shame, though. I remember cracking my fingers so I could use my points to get my first Yooyu, but I could never do it.
enchanting_ghosts, July 9, 2021 3:48 AM NST
I only played a couple games of slushie slinger because I couldn't even get these games to load on my phone most of the time.

But I can't actually get to the Altador cup prize shop. I realize I probably don't have enough points to get anything, but isn't there a free item I should be able to collect? Just trying to figure out if this is a glitch or if I'm locked out for too few points
ziporen, July 9, 2021 10:06 AM NST
@enchanting_ghosts: If your highest score was below the minimum (270), then you won't have any points and won't be able to collect the trophy, unfortunately. ): The trophy is required to access the prize shop.
alessia, July 10, 2021 12:26 AM NST
@niddyz: thank you for your explanation, I didn't want to accuse people playing fairly (which is clearly the situation on your forum). We don't know how the final scores are count, so we can't say it's based on percentages or what, and I don't believe that bornout makes a decisive difference since the variation for most of the teams is included between -0.3 and +0.3 points (10 teams... less than half a point of difference in games), all the other teams have better or significantly higher variation. Only one team (Virtupets) had a drop. So what I get is that going on in the tournament people started playing way more than the beginning, which is strange given how frustrating and strenuous was this year (and I have played 13 cups, most of them were double all-star, so I have a bit of situational awareness).

I'm not interested in seeing my team on the podium (I've always played for Faerieland.... and one year we had the cheaters group too). The real problem is that there are players who hoard loads of unfairly points and at the end, in the shop, you see as a consequence that the best items are overpriced. I wonder what's the point of having an All-Star level if it's not even worth the best prize.
1jediboy, July 10, 2021 12:43 AM NST
YEEEEEEEEESSSS!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!

Nearly 20 years at the bottom of the standings of their own game, they have risen above and are first place!!!
jweb, July 10, 2021 1:05 PM NST