Hunt for Neggs!
Discover the characters of Neopia in our Book of Ages!
Try on all the latest Neopian fashions!
Complete the Altador Mini-Plot!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Festival of Neggs

Plot Popularity Survey
  • Posted on April 6, 2021, 4:59 pm NST

A new survey has been posted by TNT, asking to pick your all-time top 3 favorite events from the past. A mix of smaller events (like Desert Diplomacy) and full-blown plots (The Faeries' Ruin) are included.

It's unknown exactly what this survey is for, or how TNT will use it. But we suggest making sure to fill it out!

Let us know in the comments—which 3 are you picking, and why?

pigfish99, April 6, 2021 5:08 PM NST
Faerie's Ruin because of course, Curse of maraqua since it was my first plot, and Return of Dr. Sloth because of the 3 Mods. XD
thecrazyoo, April 6, 2021 5:14 PM NST
The plots people say were the best are so old I wasn't even on the site yet, and I've been around for almost 15 years :/
bolimdechuva, April 6, 2021 5:15 PM NST
very unpopular opinion but? i actually thought spooky food eating contest was pretty fun
faeries ruin is iconic
and tale of woe because i love sophie
(i actually wasn’t present for a lot of the events but i’ve read most of them afterwards!)
dtolsen, April 6, 2021 5:16 PM NST
I actually had 4 favorites but ended choosing faeries ruin, tale of woe and battle of the obelisk. Honorable mention would have gone to the return of Dr. Sloth.
nightshadeswiftswing, April 6, 2021 5:22 PM NST
Faerie's Ruin because it was the best plot ever. Tale of Woe because it gave us really good characters.
Last choice was Battle for Meridell because it was my first plot and I'm still obsessed with Lord Kass haha
parody_ham, April 6, 2021 5:25 PM NST
Should I set off the PLOTPLOTPLOT alarms now or later? (But in all seriousness, thank you so much, TNT, for seeking our feedback!)

@pigfish99- Oh GOSH, the 3 mods. ._.
winterland, April 6, 2021 5:34 PM NST
I took altador, return of Dr. Sloth and lost island.
Altador for the puzzles (I solved it like 12 years ago but I remember it was fun)

Lost island: A misterious island with giant P3! Nothing more to say, I liked that mix between Jurasic park and a misterious journey.

Dr sloth: because I was happy when I solved that difficult puzzle.

I was about to choose faeries ruin but I liked more those 3.

I didnt choose anything before Tale of woe since I didnt started when those plots where live.
inkpot, April 6, 2021 6:01 PM NST
Chose: Faerie's Ruin and Tale of Woe.
I liked the characters and plot for these two best.

I didn't choose a 3rd because I don't actually know enough about any of the others before Woe.
joe, April 6, 2021 6:06 PM NST
so many good ones..
who could forget Meepit Oaks Sanitarium and digging up bodies or the Temple of 1000 Tombs and literally 1000 tombs (ok it was 288 but it's close)
or being trapped with Neopet V2
Murdered in the Ski Lodge
Poisoned by the Darkest Faerie

I just picked Dr. Sloth across the board. Neopia needs more of the good Dr. (even if he paid me to say that)
problematicperiplum, April 6, 2021 6:22 PM NST
My favorite plot is August 3rd, 2000 (aka the day Tropical Food Techo was added)
jessalynn, April 6, 2021 6:23 PM NST
I've never done any of the plots listed, so I'm sadly skipping the survey.
specioid, April 6, 2021 6:24 PM NST
I picked the following:

Curse of Maraqua, I likes the fact you could choose a side and then whether you support or battle.

Tale of Woe, I enjoyed the mix of puzzles and battles and CURSE THE MITTENS!

Lyra and the lost Heirloom, even if some part weren't clear, I liked the Xendrick reference to the Kardashian, so funny despite I didn't read 10 chapters on release day.
pikachu315111, April 6, 2021 6:25 PM NST
Would rather rank them then just choosing three, but we have what we have so:

(1.) The Lost Desert Plot: If I was asked what's the quintessential Neopets plot, my pick is LDP. It was the plot that laid down the blue print for how all plots after it were done (at least the ones which were done by the original TNT): Plot progression, puzzles, achievement tracking, and prize shop.
(2.) The Faeries' Ruin: LDP may have been the first to lay down the groundwork, but TFR was the one which perfected it. Return of Sloth and Tale of Woe were fine, but each had some weak points (RoS was sort of a letdown of a story and ToW had issues with some of their puzzles & prize shop). But TFR told a great story, its puzzles were fine, and prize shop rewarding.
(3.) War of the Obelisk: Probably one of the best war plots we've had, certainly the most recent. Though it lacked a comic story, it did give us what we liked from a war: factions to join, interesting characters/opponents, and what little story there was kept us intrigued on what was going to happen next. I also liked the "Doing Your Part" bar, it gave every player a goal to focus on especially those without strong Neopets who couldn't keep battling the stronger Neopets over-and-over again (the only thing I wished they did was explained you did get points for extra battles).

Pains me having to skip picking one of the Meridell plots, but I want my answers to be reflective on what I'm looking for in a plot.
spicylife, April 6, 2021 8:23 PM NST
Where is the link for this survey posted onsite?

Getting really tired of having to play hide and seek with all of their media outlets to stay updated....
powerwingamber, April 6, 2021 8:47 PM NST
I picked 'The Faeries' Ruin' and 'Tale of Woe' for the same reasons most have picked them for.

The third one was the toughest, but I eventually settled on 'The Lost Desert Plot' since they did an amazing job with those difficult puzzles. Also, it was funny to see my pets turned into piles of sand and scarabs. XD
firenrocks, April 6, 2021 8:48 PM NST
I am like thecrazyroo, I have been on Neopets for 15 years, but still managed to miss most of the plots. I think the end of the Lost Isle was running when I joined, but I was a newbie then and had no idea what to do. So my votes will be based on events I actually experienced firsthand.

The Altador Plot: Permanent event with puzzles and fun rewards. Can work at your own pace, and its available no matter when you join. I wish there were more permanent events like it.

Spooky Food Eating Contest: More for the concept of *good* "plevents". Fun break to have something a little different, more often than you would necessarily get full blown plots. The negg festivals with puzzles and BD opponents are another example of this.

Faeries Ruin: For the sweeping plot experience. Battles, (multiplayer!) puzzles, comics, prize shop!
firenrocks, April 6, 2021 8:54 PM NST
*14 years

Miscounted.
zoeyaugust1245, April 6, 2021 9:04 PM NST
very brave of then to include certain recent events as "plots".
dreww355, April 6, 2021 9:11 PM NST
Lost Desert Plot, Tale of Woe, and Faeries Ruin were my three. I love story driven puzzle plots, so these three definitely stand out as my faves.
treerunner, April 6, 2021 9:16 PM NST
My top three were the Altador plot because it was fun and the site theme was really awesome (the newer look to it for the site is somewhat lacking), the Spooky Food Eating Contest because of the puzzles and mystery factor and last but not least was the Lost Isle plot. It would have been cooler if they'd opened up the island as an actual site you could visit. I loved the challenge of these events that didn't center around how strong your pet might be. Great for those who don't battle much, or who were newer to the plot scene.
stories2btold, April 6, 2021 9:34 PM NST
TFR

Spooky Food Eating Contest

Atlas of the Ancients

sue me
alli_draggy, April 6, 2021 9:44 PM NST
TFR - super cool graphics and themes, elaborated on lore, was a formative experience to me as a kindergartener

Spooky Food Eating Contest - LOVED the dungeon element + I really like the whole "corrupted site event" thing. Kinda hoping we get something like that with Topsi's problem this year.

Krawk Island Disappearance - I like that it provided in-universe reason for a map revamp, the puzzles were fun, and Forgotten Shore is awesome.
xid, April 6, 2021 9:44 PM NST
Aww man, nostalgia. I'm sad I could only pick 3 because I have fond memories of Meridell, the Ice Caves and Maraqua. Faeries Ruin and the War of the Obelisk were also fun. I picked Lost Desert, Tale of Woe and Altador.
galifan, April 6, 2021 9:52 PM NST
Lost Desert, Altador, and after that it was hard to decide on a third.
teresa, April 6, 2021 10:23 PM NST
Lost Desert, Faeries Ruin, Maraqua for me (but it was a toss up between Maraqua and Ice Caves for me)
bonju, April 6, 2021 10:43 PM NST
Tale of Woe and Faeries Ruin were my obvious picks, they were amazing plots. The third one was difficult to choose because I like many of the options, but ended up picking Lost Desert Plot
trisangum, April 7, 2021 12:04 AM NST
next negg is at the finishing site in maraqua ofc
recklesse, April 7, 2021 12:23 AM NST
Where is the link for this survey posted onsite?
--------

Yeah, that was my first thought too. Have they actually forgotten the New Features page exists??
recklesse, April 7, 2021 12:36 AM NST
Also interesting to note, for those people picking the Spooky Food Eating contest, the 'dungeon element' is listed separately as 'Monster Hunting' I think.
miranai, April 7, 2021 12:50 AM NST
I really love community puzzle plots with comics, so I picked Lost Desert Plot, Tale of Woe, and The Faerie's Ruin. I do have a soft spot for wars like HATIC and CoM though, since those were the ones that were easier for me to follow when I was small. I used to believe turning to help sites or boards for help in solving the plots was cheating punishable by freezing, so I didn't get too far in the puzzles haha... But the way TNT encouraged everyone to engage with those puzzle plots was fun, so that's the type of thing I want to see again. It was also neat seeing how the site changed post-plot, so that was an additional thing to look forward to with these events.
1jediboy, April 7, 2021 1:44 AM NST
Anyone vote for the Green Jelly Plot?
el_arakeuh, April 7, 2021 1:54 AM NST
Curse of Maraqua
Altadorian Plot
The Cyodrake's Gaze

Hopefully they do something with this info :o
wolfangel1626, April 7, 2021 3:27 AM NST
Curse of Maraqua, Lost desert and Hannah(first plot i ever participated in)!!! love love love the old plots. But i feel it's biased survey as a lot of people who are still on the site might not have been around for the older plots.
mega_t_shark, April 7, 2021 4:55 AM NST
Anything with a comic plot was amazing!

Tales of Woe (love horror stories)
Faerie's Ruin (cuz this https://tinyurl.com/25ac6ure and Brynn's Sword)
Lost Desert Plot (was between this and Hannah and the Ice Caves, but I liked this one better and Prince Jazan is a badass)

Honestly I just only wish they don't do another plot with choosing sides cuz then I'd just pick for the prizes, not because I like one side better...
puffkins2000, April 7, 2021 5:00 AM NST
Tale Of Woe was definitely the first pick for me---it was my ABSOLUTE favourite (( and I love Bruno! )), but it was so hard to narrow down the other two because there are so many I liked for different reasons. I've been on Neo since for 20+ years without stopping. XD

I wish we had another Ski Lodge Murder Mystery---because that was pretty awesome, even though I remember getting also everyone wrong.
cay, April 7, 2021 6:37 AM NST
I have so many favourites but my top 3 are:
Journey to the Lost Isle (was the first plot I joined and made so many nice friends/still friends with them.)
The Faerie's Ruin and AOTA.
contessa, April 7, 2021 7:35 AM NST
The Lost Desert Plot was the best ever! I also chose the Faeries Ruin on he Obelisk War. I do wish we could have ranked them in order of preference though.

I completely agree with pikachu315111 on the ranking and why these were the best plots ever!
sunwillow66, April 7, 2021 7:45 AM NST
Sacrificers (Ski Lodge Murder Mystery too!), Battle for Meridell, Altadorian Plot
portsmack, April 7, 2021 7:58 AM NST
Meridell plots for sure.
debgil, April 7, 2021 9:40 AM NST
Altador, LD, Faeries Ruin.
dave - JN Staff, April 7, 2021 10:37 AM NST
@stories2btold: We're contacting our lawyer now.
ziporen, April 7, 2021 10:50 AM NST

---

This! It was the first plot that I participated in, and I liked that you didn't -have- to fight to join, despite it being a war. I do have a bigger main BD pet now, but it would still be nice for newer or returning users who don't have one. (And could let staff throw bigger challenges at those of us with them.)

My other two picks were TFR and ToW, but there are a lot other nice options on the list as well. I just went with the three that I liked the most mechanically.
dave - JN Staff, April 7, 2021 11:17 AM NST
@ziporen: Snarkie has gone on record explaining that that is pretty much why all out "war" plots were phased out over time. TNT was putting a bunch of effort into setting up a war, but participation would be low because not many people had good battling pets. Whereas, everyone can move furniture into a pyramid or go dig up graves since there was no prerequisite or preparation needed.

I'm a fan of mixed activity plots. The more variety in what you can do to participate is nice and better accounts for how Neopians play the game differently (aka some don't bother training or learning how the Battledome works, and that's totally fine).
joe, April 7, 2021 11:55 AM NST
The monoceraptor and Neggnapper plots handled the BD in an interesting way.

Monoceraptor (and others) it was a group fight, where damage done by all users was collective. (granted, they gave a prize to the person who made the final blow, which could have been sheer luck) so no matter how weak or strong your pet was, you could still throw at least one hit and get credit for participation.

Neggnapper provided a unique item that would allow any pet to KO the beast, again allowing any participation, but if someone wanted to, they could also battle without the item for a much harder fight.

That being said, I personally never enjoyed battledome related plot steps (and not just because my pets aren't super strong, but it's meant a ton of prizes/avatars/etc I've missed on over the years) but I appreciate them incorporating different parts of the site.
herdy - JN Staff, April 7, 2021 12:45 PM NST
The Monoceraptor didn't happen that way as far as I'm aware, it was a straight fight. I think the mechanic you're meaning actually only happened in the Faeries Ruin? Though Oblivion had a counter-mechanic that effectively negated community progress. Community loss goals to weaken final bosses I think weren't implemented until Tale of Woe.
i_love_latin, April 7, 2021 1:00 PM NST
Faeries' Ruin and Altador were my easy top two. I loved TFR--the art, the story, everything about it was good. And I loved the puzzles for the Altador plot. It was fun being able to do it realtime, but then it was also fun to rewatch it when my spouse joined like last year.

I honestly don't even remember what I put for my third. There were a lot of third place contenders for me--all the decent ones that weren't absolutely amazing (and then of course I was on hiatus for Obelisk and Wraith and such). I was torn between Battle for Meridell, which I remember liking but don't remember, and Lost Desert, which I remember but don't remember my opinion on
ladala, April 7, 2021 3:23 PM NST
1) Tale of Woe. Probably because it was the first plot I fully participated in, but I see it as the most quintessential Neopets plot. An interesting story, a series of steps that involve puzzles, clicking on obscure places, battles, and community steps. The standout step for me was the community one - where users could choose to dig or create potions to test the bones to see which is the Spirit of Slumber. The potions task was too difficult for my young mind, but the digging I found really fun, and it was exciting that there was, in fact, a specific grave in the huge graveyard that belonged to the Spirit of Slumber, and anyone at any time could have dug it up.

2) The Altador Plot. The plot that never retired. I wished there were more like that. It had the classic Neopets steps like "click on this one pixel" that people had to find (but once found, it was in guides so not so difficult for latecomers), plus the stargazing task unique to each user, which was pretty difficult! What I liked most about it was the clumination of lore. We had "Talador" characters since the TCG Base set, we had Neopets: the Darkest Faerie for PS2, and we got the whole other side of Neopia once we fully discovered Altador in this plot, learning about what happened to cause it to freeze in time.

3) The Faerie's Ruin. A lot of the same reasons as Tale of Woe, as it was a very accessible plot with a lot of variety. What made it reach my top 3 was the fact that it showed the then-modern TNT wasn't afraid to make large changes to the face of Neopia, permanently changing the location and theming of Faerieland and questioning the status quo: the role of Faeries in Neopia.

What didn't make the list but I wish it could: any of the war plots. I didn't participate in any of the early ones due to being a kid who didn't want her Neopets beat up (and not being here in the case of Champions of Meridell), but I love the idea of a world-changing competition between different factions of users. The O
ladala, April 7, 2021 3:24 PM NST
...Obelisk war was interesting, but it didn't have any lasting consequences. Plus iirc we didn't get to see the rankings, other than that the Sway won in the end. I don't think any future "wars" should be Battledome-exclusive (especially if they're world-changing), but I hope the competition aspect returns.
pikachu315111, April 7, 2021 6:20 PM NST
@bolimdechuva:
Spooky Food Eating Contest: Yeah, it was a fun and surprising Halloween Event. Though it looked like it was quite the amount of work to do, so not sure if we'll see anything like it again soon. Though if they don't do a special Halloween event I would like to see Saskia and her masks come back, it was a simple Trick-or-Treat thing but enjoyable how testing the masks turned out.

@firenrocks:
Missing Out On Plots: I always thought they should allow players to relive experience of the plots. Though I question whether JS still has all the files or with how much they moved (and not using the files for anything) they might have gotten lost.

@recklesse:
SPEC & Monster Hunting: Wha... JS why?

@puffkins2000:
Ski Lodge Murder Mystery: I feel the type of event that it and Sacrificers were kind of morphed into the "Logic Puzzle" like Cyodrake's Gaze & Desert Diplomacy. Less guessing and more interaction.

@contessa:
Thanks!

@dave:
Less War Plots: Yeah, that is a major issue with War Plots. Like I remember people asking for help during the Obelisk War and Wraith Resurgence to figure out a way to get their low level pet to beat a stronger opponent to fill out their bar enough or progress. I always had an idea, though it would require a bit of coding, that they should try a "Battle Buddy" mechanic. Haven't thought out all the details, but basically two players team up to face a strong opponent. The strongest Neopet would tank the hits (if knocked out both players lose) while the weaker Neopet works on dealing the damage (maybe also allow a way to share weapons). To encourage stronger Neopets to team up with weaker Neopets, the greater the HP+Stength+Defense difference is between Battle Buddies the more extra points the stronger Neopet gets (the weaker Neopet will just get the normal amount of points).

@Herdy:
Community Battle: Wouldn't Razul be the first? If I recall correctly, every player who used the ancient weapon on him to
pikachu315111, April 7, 2021 6:21 PM NST
If I recall correctly, every player who used the ancient weapon on him took 1 HP off his max health until someone was finally able to go toe-to-toe.

@ladala:
Obelisk's Last Consequences: What about the Battleground? Also it added quite a bit of lore to the site.
jiracigi, April 7, 2021 8:35 PM NST
Seems like I've picked an unpopular choice! In addition to the Tale of Woe plot and Curse of Maraqua, I chose Hannah and the Ice Caves as my third one. I just remember Hannah being a cool character and really liked the follow up from the first plot she was introduced in. Was also highly debating choosing The Lost Desert plot as my third choice.
ladala, April 8, 2021 7:30 AM NST
@pikachu315111:
I consider Skirmishes to be pretty much on-par with Grave Danger and the Clockwork Negg. It's a new daily (or, biweekly).

What I meant by "lasting consequences" is that the plot/event ties into a major change in the map or lore. Most plots during the era I joined in introduced something major - Curse of Maraqua: Maraqua returning, Lost Desert Plot: Quazla mini-world, Tale of Woe: Neovia, etc. Even more contemporary stuff usually tied into the map updates, like the Krawk Island Disappearance involving us actually finding the pieces of the island that went adrift. And of course the Faerie's Ruin.

The Obelisk War coincided with the Tyrannia map update, but it wasn't the cause or the effect of that. It was just "hey there's an obelisk, and now these guys are fighting over it." The fact that the skirmishes continue actually feels like it's stagnating lore - will we ever see any of these factions outside of this? Because they're continually using resources fighting over the obelisk. And if a future plot or event pops up that uses Kanrik or the Dutchess or something, it wouldn't make sense that every two weeks they go off fighting in Tyrannia. So either skirmishes are non-canon, or we won't see these characters in future stuff.
ladala, April 8, 2021 7:36 AM NST
Also, who won didn't matter. Tyrannia didn't get any Sway-themed shop or miniworld for them winning. Previous wars with two sides at least seemed like they could have had consequences. Meridell vs. Darigan had a follow-up war so the "right" side won, Hannah and the Ice Caves the Bori could have very well become a Limited species, and Curse of Maraqua... I'm not sure what they would have done if the Pirates won, but it seemed the fate of Maraqua was at stake (maybe another follow-up war).
roshchodesh, April 8, 2021 7:59 AM NST
Spooky Food

not sorry

*bops self on the noggin for saying that*
qwertybub3, April 8, 2021 9:32 AM NST
I chose Lost Desert Plot, The Faeries' Ruin, and Return of Dr. Sloth. If I could have chosen a fourth one I would have also picked Tale of Woe.
clock_flower, April 8, 2021 11:06 AM NST
This is so exciting! The only plots I've ever participated in were Lyra and the Lost Heirloom and the 20th anniversary one, and they were both a little underwhelming (at least the latter had characters we all know and love). Man, it kinda stinks that we can only choose three of the plots. [br]
Am I alone in my dislike of the Battledome? I personally just find it stressful rather than fun, so I'd much rather do a puzzle-heavy plot and do as little battling as possible.
o_ya_toe_knee_is_gr8, April 8, 2021 12:20 PM NST
TFR since it was my first plot (joined late 2008 so missed ToW) and I loved the puzzles and I also chose Battle for Meridell and Champions of Meridell since they both apparently had Morris the Quiggle in them. none of the other plots/plevents I participated or read up on and the ones I did participate in (every. single. one since TFR) were lackluster
cat, April 8, 2021 2:11 PM NST
I said TFR, Tale of Woe and Sacrificers because it’s the one I liked looking back at most when I first started.