Neopia's Award Ceremony for your top picks of the year!
Complete the Altador Mini-Plot!
Help us model your pets!
Learn the meaning to all Neopian words, phrases and acronyms!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Neopies

Flash-Free Wearable Previews
  • Posted on February 9, 2021, 1:26 pm NST

As promised, our updated Flash-free wearable Previews section is now up and running!

You may notice a few new features, notably:

• A brand new advanced search bar, modeled off of our Item Database. Search wearables by all sorts of new fields to narrow in on what you'd like to wear!
  • Swap between colours on an item's preview page. Want to preview an item on a Zombie-coloured Neopet? Now you can!
  • Affected and restricted zones are now listed.
  • Jump quickly between an item's preview page and its info page, price history, TP history, UFT and seeking lists in the Item Database.

What's to come? Here's what we're still working on:

• Animated item previews are still a work in progress. Most items, we've found, are not animated, so you should still be able to enjoy the majority of previews.
  • The ability to add an item to your Wishlist from individual preview pages.
  • The ability to search by restricted zones.
  • Easy modeling straight from the individual preview page.
  • Special searches, and more!

And of course, our Wardrobe app itself is still a work in progress, but releasing our new Previews is a big step towards us being able to offer a Flash-free Wardrobe.

As another note, we were also able to take stock of which items and Neopets have been converted to HTML5, and which ones have not. We are happy to report that roughly 66% of items have been converted to HTML5—only about 33% of them are left for TNT to convert!

We have also found that almost every older Neopet colour combo has been converted to HTML5, however, most Neopets released from early 2020 and onward have not been converted yet. (So for example, the Marble Draik that was released in September 2020 for Draik Day does not work in the new HTML5 customisation.)

Until all of these conversions occur, you may find that some Neopets and wearables cannot be previewed. We will be keeping a watchful eye on TNT's progress with converting the remaining wearables and Neopets and will update our previews as they do.

roshchodesh, February 9, 2021 1:45 PM NST
EEEEeeeeeeEEEE!!!!
purplebin, February 9, 2021 2:06 PM NST
It's odd that the newest stuff isn't converted yet, but it's definitely nice to at least know which ones are animated.
Once again, you guys are doing an amazing job!
flamezeai, February 9, 2021 2:13 PM NST
I'm sorry, but can TNT be as efficient as the JN staff??
zinkro, February 9, 2021 2:24 PM NST
Great job!!
dave - JN Staff, February 9, 2021 2:29 PM NST
@purplebin: For the new Neopet colours that aren't converted, it almost looks like TNT ran a batch conversion back in late 2019/early 2020 before the beta site went live... then just never converted anything since.

For items, it's an odd hodge podge of conversions. Like, the new Gram items are converted, but some Stufftacular items have not been converted.

We've only started tracking the conversions this past month, so hard to say if there's a rhyme or reason, but hopefully we see the converted numbers go up.
galifan, February 9, 2021 3:34 PM NST
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! This is wonderful!
phenixia, February 9, 2021 5:11 PM NST
Thank you so much for your hard work! I love customisation and I feel so limited, lately! So many items can't be used. *sigh* But your new system is fantastic! Your whole team is fantastic!
dreww355, February 9, 2021 6:00 PM NST
Excuse my ignorance, as I don't really spend much time with wearables, but is there a reason that some zones are listed two or even three times with the same zone name? (eg. Earrings, Markings/Tattoo)
neocoladude, February 9, 2021 6:27 PM NST
66% still need converted by JS? I know the sheer number of species and clothes released is ginormous, but for Fyora's sake, if they weren't working on converting the games for the past 3 years, what WERE they doing during that time?
archangel11891, February 9, 2021 6:42 PM NST
@neocoladude - You have that number backwards. 66% are done, 33% need conversion. TNT has talked openly about how many items have to be redrawn from scratch, especially animated ones.

That means around 13k items are done, and around 6k items are not done. So that's some solid progress.
begeorge2424, February 9, 2021 8:39 PM NST
Great work!
neocoladude, February 9, 2021 9:58 PM NST
Yrp, I meant 33%, my bad, I can't maths today I guess. The post otherwise is accurate as to my feelings about all of this though. If everyone from the original team wasn't laid off though, they probably would have had enough HR to get all the redrawing done by now.
mavegibson, February 9, 2021 10:09 PM NST
Thanks, Dave - you guys are rock stars. Your hard work is very appreciated!

In other news, I can now get customization to load (I was one of the people who couldn't get it to load items at all), so that makes me feel a bit more optimistic. However, many zones don't display at all in customization. For example, no backgrounds will preview in the app at all.

Still, I'm happy to see progress. I was really starting to feel like Neo might be over for me.
marfbear, February 9, 2021 10:21 PM NST
Thank you so much for doing this.

I must be unlucky as most of the items I use for my seasonal customizations aren't converted yet.
i_love_latin, February 9, 2021 11:52 PM NST
Oooh new previews looks so good! Amazing job as always, TJNT <3
katina_choovanski, February 10, 2021 12:01 AM NST
Outstanding efforts by JN team. Thank you so much for all your very hard and faithful work.
vendistheoossom, February 10, 2021 3:10 AM NST
Awesome, thank you so much!
xx__dana__xx, February 10, 2021 4:54 AM NST
Thank you, Jellyneo staff! You folks are amazing!!!!
lignite77, February 10, 2021 6:59 AM NST
Fantastic work! as always. Thank you!
dave - JN Staff, February 10, 2021 9:39 AM NST
@archangel11891: To clarify, there's only about 5,000 wearable items left to convert. The %'s we quoted are going by the number of assets which more accurately reflects the amount of work left. A greater portion of items in general are converted than raw number of assets.

(By asset we mean pieces of artwork needed--for example a background has 1 asset because all Neopets wear it the same. But a pair of trousers has 55 individual assets, because each species needs it drawn differently. The trousers require 55 individual conversions compared to 1 conversion for the background.)
contessa, February 10, 2021 9:39 AM NST
Yes, add my thanks to the Jellyneo staff for all of their hard work on all of this. I just couldn't play Neopets without you!
serpentshrine, February 10, 2021 1:42 PM NST
So much good news! Thank you so much for your hard work, and the tid bit about how much has been converted is very interesting. I had no idea they made so much progress considering how many items there are!

Thank you again. I hope you know how much people appreciate all the effort this team puts in.
swevin, February 10, 2021 2:49 PM NST
housie, February 10, 2021 2:59 PM NST
Thank you for your hard work JN team we all truly appreciate it!
sycatt, February 10, 2021 10:36 PM NST
I tried to use the wearable previews but nothing is showing up in the boxed in area. I paused ghostery and I allowed scripts but still no previews are showing. I'm using Firefox ESR on Windows Vista. Does anyone know what else I could do, --other than update from Vista or change browsers?
mavegibson, February 11, 2021 12:20 PM NST
@sycatt - you could go to html5test.com and see how compliant your os/browser are with html 5 and use whatever info you find to help troubleshoot the problem.
dave - JN Staff, February 11, 2021 1:36 PM NST
@sycatt That definitely sounds odd. I'm a Firefox (v85--not on ESR) user myself, but have no issues.

I'm assuming you're on a work computer, and can't switch away from ESR? (It's a version of Firefox that's marketed as having less features/older support for fancy new websites.)

I do see that Firefox v78.5 may me missing some of the features that our new Wardrobe code base relies on.

If you send in a message here, I can send you some instructions here to privately debug a bit to see what may be wrong: http://www.jellyneo.net/?go=form_jnaccounts
masterdeals, February 11, 2021 6:27 PM NST
@Ddave, DAVEEE Another beta patch went out for beta site including a mention of HTML5 maps coming soon in a soonish patch.
sycatt, February 11, 2021 7:29 PM NST
Thank you @mavegibson I went to the website.
Your browser scores 462 out of 555 points. I have no idea how to troubleshoot with that info.

@dave Thank you, I sent a message.
sprite_83_4, February 12, 2021 1:25 AM NST
I’m using safari iOS and similar to what sycatt said, I am also only seeing a blank white box instead of a preview..does anyone know if I’m doing something wrong ;(
ladymoreta, February 12, 2021 3:42 AM NST
JN, as always a brilliant tool.

I was wondering though why my Baby Scorchio only shows up his eyes in the customisation tool. Some of the items have been converted but they don't show up. I just have floating eyes in a sea of white. Wierd.