Hunt for Neggs!
Create your own wishlists!
Every editorial question answered just a search away!
Earn NP from playing games!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Festival of Neggs

Beta Update
  • Posted on January 28, 2021, 5:59 am NST

Yesterday a new release for the site redesign beta was made live! Included in this update:

1) The Wheels of Misfortune and Extravagance have been updated to html5. Note that presently one of the images on the Wheel of Extravagance page is set up for TNT's private, internal image server, causing a popup on the page. It is safe to dismiss the popup and continue to play the Wheel normally.

2) The side menu links have been reorganised and new links added. Accessed by clicking your active pet icon on the top left of the screen, the menu of links is now organised hierarchically, so you can click on the down arrows to reveal more links. You'll find Customise, Creat A Pet, and Adopt A Pet under the My Pets tab, Safety Deposit Box, Quick Stock, and Item Transfer Log under the Inventory tab, and Gallery, Stamps, Trading Cards, and NC Mall Album under the My Albums tab.

3) Space Faerie Scratchcards for Premium Members are now html5. A known bug with this new conversion is that if you scale down your window on desktop, and then scale back up, Scratchcards will not scale back up to the normal size. Refreshing should fix this issue.

4) The old Gypsy Camp in the Haunted Woods has been updated to be named the Wanderer Camp. This includes the old text that served as an epilogue to the Tale of Woe plot, and all items that contained the word Gypsy in their names or descriptions.

There have also been a few more minor fixes to Premium links and the location of the Help Neoboard. Included in the Release Notes is an FAQ containing teasers for upcoming features:

Q. I can't find where to update my avatar for the Neoboards!
A. Neoboard settings will eventually be found within a new, consolidated and easier to navigate settings system.
Q. How do I find my pet's petpets?
A. We hope to bring petpets to the homepage, so that they can be seen sitting next to their Neopets and can be interacted with from there.
Q. The "Take Photo" button when I interact with my pet doesn't do anything!
A. We are working on revamping the "Send Your Pet" feature to integrate with social media platforms in addition to the current email and neomail options. This button will become active once this feature has been updated.
Q. The search button doesn't do anything!
A. We are looking to revamp site search functionality with improved features and a layout for results more adaptive to different devices. An initial version of the feature very similar to the classic site search is planned for release first, with the more robust update coming seperately later.
Q. I can't find links to certain pages on the new map-less map pages!
A. Hidden secrets and easter eggs are an important part of the Neopets experience. While its unfortunate that you'll have to get to some of these secret pages through other means for the time being, we didn't want to spoil everything during this transition. However, Flash-free visual maps have been in the works and will be rolled out soon.

Finally, the Release Notes say that the next updates will include:

The Wheel of Monotony
The Winter Holiday theme (this week!)
The Valentine's Day Theme
We'll be looking to add unconverted non-Flash games and the appropriate wheels to the work in progress beta gamesroom soon

vederfolnir, January 28, 2021 8:15 AM NST
Wait. I'm confused. Why did they change Gypsy to Wanderer? Those items suit a gypsy more.
alli_draggy, January 28, 2021 8:30 AM NST
I actually really like Inventory getting its own dropdown. Makes a heck of a lot more sense imo than Inventory being under Customize in the old layout or the Wall of Shop Links, most of which I never used.
masterdeals, January 28, 2021 8:31 AM NST
@Vedrfolnr, it's cause of some fan complaints of it being slang related.
And good thing they took a memo for that.
People really complained about how the menu works. Glad they took a note.
Hopefully the new maps in HTML5 are going to look better then last time they appeared online, but with some subtle changes or animation add ons in HTML5.
dave - JN Staff, January 28, 2021 9:27 AM NST
@vederfolnir: The term "Gypsy" is considered a slur in Europe and has a negative connotation. It was long overdue to change it all.
apophis324, January 28, 2021 10:00 AM NST
Hmm.. I guess times have changed.. I do hope there are no "Indian" or "Eskimo" items on Neopets either then.

Although calling it a Wanderers Camp... It's kinda stationary
apophis324, January 28, 2021 10:03 AM NST
Something else.
Is it just so for me and my old beast, or does anyone else have processor issues when opening an old page? Currently when opening an old page (say Coltzan's Shrine) in a new tab, my processor usage spikes momentarily. Doesn't seem to have that problem with converted pages and I didn't have this problem yesterday, before the last update..
tyuio_k50, January 28, 2021 10:33 AM NST
Small nitpick would be that I wish they'd changed the group to be something established, like having a name and not a descriptor (ie, "The Wanderers" instead just "Wanderers". Something like The Awakened or The Sway or whatever.

Still, positive change!
tyuio_k50, January 28, 2021 10:35 AM NST
I didn't type anything even resembling a wink (no semicolon), so I don't know where that came from Just to restate:

I wish they'd changed the group to be something established, like having a name and not a descriptor ( ie, "The Wanderers" instead just "Wanderers" )
apophis324, January 28, 2021 10:43 AM NST
Yeah, they need a group name.. Like... Woe Tellers!! Even though only the Pink Elephante knew of the Tale of Woe... and the rest of the Gy-- Wanderers don't know of the Pink Elephante's existence...
herdy - JN Staff, January 28, 2021 11:18 AM NST
Realistically in order to do that justice they'd need the resources for a plot and the ability to do a good plot.

... neither of which they have.
gtoey, January 28, 2021 12:38 PM NST
Yes, very glad to see the Wanderer Camp rename, and all other usage of the slur removed!
rynneer, January 28, 2021 1:16 PM NST
That name had always bugged me tbh. Glad they've changed it
dave - JN Staff, January 28, 2021 1:18 PM NST
Also, a bunch of understated changes in the coming soon's above...

> Neoboard settings will eventually be found within a new, consolidated and easier to navigate settings system.

> We are working on revamping the "Send Your Pet" feature to integrate with social media platforms in addition to the current email and neomail options.

> We are looking to revamp site search functionality with improved features

Although it likely slows down the transition to the new layout, it's very nice to see that Jumpstart is actually thinking about polishing up *very* old parts of the site that you probably wouldn't think too much about. It's nice to see that investment, at least for me.

And, of course, nice to see confirmation on these items that they were somewhat silent on at the end of 2020:

> We'll be looking to add ... non-Flash games ... to the ... beta gamesroom soon

> Additional Flash games have been going through Quality Assurance and will be released soon.

> However, Flash-free visual maps have been in the works and will be rolled out soon.
parody_ham, January 28, 2021 2:55 PM NST
I honestly have to give Jumpstart TNT a lot of credit. I can only imagine the spaghetti code they have to deal with and the skeleton crew they have to work on it with... so honestly, good on them for what they've been able to do. Thanks, TNT, for listening to the playerbase and for giving it your best.
i_love_latin, January 28, 2021 3:12 PM NST
I'm pretty stoked about the next round of beta games!

And I'm so thrilled about the g**** items/places being renamed. I bugged them about this several times recently, and I'm so glad they did it!
charybdis7, January 28, 2021 4:50 PM NST
I just heard about the removal of the g-slur, and i am sooooooo heckin glad.
Getting more widespread awareness and acknowledgement of the word as the slur it is, is progress.
serpentshrine, January 28, 2021 10:02 PM NST
Glad they actually went through with it like they said they would. I hope next is scrubbing cannibal islanders from the site. That's also pretty racist and, quite frankly, I feel is improper for a kid's site anyhow.
nobody, January 28, 2021 10:35 PM NST
They're finally removing slurs from neopets!?!?
apophis324, January 29, 2021 12:09 AM NST
If they're removing slurs and racism.. does that mean they'll rename the White Paint Brush into a Colourless Paint Brush?

Let's be real, it's great they're trying their best to be inclusive to as many people as they can. That being said, there will always be people offended by one thing or another, no matter how hard you try. In some cases it's just live and let live, I guess.. (Like the aformentioned White Paint Brush and cannibal islanders).
katina_choovanski, January 29, 2021 1:03 AM NST
apophis324 Word.

The white paintbrush is now going to be known as The Paintbrush of a Pale Hue, just to keep from offending anyone.

*facepalm* Wanderers...

All this ado about very little.

JUST. FIX. THE. CLOSETS.
spacegoblim, January 29, 2021 3:21 AM NST
Woah never thought would see people offended that they removed a slur :o , who I'm kidding was surprised only had two complaining
premium17, January 29, 2021 5:10 AM NST
Please dont roll out more converted games till you FIX the games you converted last year.
herdy - JN Staff, January 29, 2021 5:16 AM NST
The cannibal islanders isn't even remotely in the same ballpark as the gypsy references. The Konido Clan are the only established cannibals on Mystery Island, and are treated with contempt by the other tribes on the island who are presented in a far more positive light. Having one 'evil' representation within a wider positive one doesn't mean the former should be scrubbed as problematic.
ladyamethyst, January 29, 2021 5:31 AM NST
The new space faerie card page made my PC's fan hum like a jet engine. This keeps up on other pages, I'll be quitting. Won't have a choice. I'm premium so no ads, so I'm not understanding the overload.
nobody, January 29, 2021 9:28 AM NST
does that mean they'll rename the White Paint Brush

When you stumble across this grossness on jellyneo dot com...
nobody, January 29, 2021 9:30 AM NST
Oof, sorry, net.

And "just to keep from offending anyone", seriously?

You're going to act like slurs are "very little"?
aviagua, January 29, 2021 10:19 AM NST
I am just disgusted by how ugly some Neopians get when a slur is removed from Neopets. Seriously. And to think you people are adults.
aviagua, January 29, 2021 10:37 AM NST
That aside, I like the new sub menus that were added in the new beta release! The links to the Quick Stock, SDB & Gallery are especially useful.

I really hope at some point TNT gives the option to permanently pin the sidebar open, as I only use desktop and miss seeing the full customs of my pets.
charybdis7, January 29, 2021 11:08 AM NST
@serpentshrine: YES. step one, slur removal. step two, rework all the other stuff with racist implications. I still can't believe it's been done... like, it's a minor adjustment of bare-minimum human decency especially here in 2021, but like, it still fills me with hope.
apophis324, January 29, 2021 11:41 AM NST
Hmm.. I think people misread what I wrote.. That's not a first, and probably won't be the last. I'm not angry over the word "gypsy" being removed from the website, not at all. I also wasn't being serious about the White Paint Brush (but it does give one to think).
My apologies if anyone perceived what I said in particular as offensive. Sometimes it's hard to read subtext, harder than it would be to hear it.
spacegoblim, January 29, 2021 12:30 PM NST
apophis324: "is not my fault that you got offended >:I" lol, like just stop we get it you got offended over someone removing slurs and you don't see slurs as a big deal.

And the cannibals, I always saw more because on the site have cannibalism but like yeah I see how can be a negative stereotype, still wonder now that they are more focusing on kids if they will remake or retire these types of items
serpentshrine, January 29, 2021 1:20 PM NST
You can have an eeevil tribe and not have them be cannibals? It's still pretty racist even if they're meant to be outliers.

Yes it's not a slur and slurs take priority, but if minorities ask you to drop a characiture I think it's the polite thing to do that. Honestly.

Also lol @ the guy losing their mind and made that white pb comment. Ur hilarious my guy. Love ya.
herdy - JN Staff, January 29, 2021 1:50 PM NST
Eh, cannibalism isn't even isolated to MI, really. HW has loads of food made from parts of Neopets. The Monocerous regularly eats JubJubs. Although it's largely been shelved now, Lupes used to eat Chias.
Isolated, yeah, sure it appears like the Konido Clan are problematic - but given the proper context within Neopets, they really aren't that big a deal.
serpentshrine, January 29, 2021 2:21 PM NST
I mean. One is goofy halloween town/hallmark inspired and the other is based off of irl people's so. I don't find them comparable. Same for spooky monsters eating people. No comment on the lupe one though, I can't understand the connections. Maybe because chias often turn into food colors wise?

In the end I'm not too pressed for it to be changed. I'd LIKE it to be, but the removal of slurs and a few other things are more important.
lokaula, January 29, 2021 2:30 PM NST
HUH? No more Gypsy? What's next to go, Pirate? Many consider that a negative slur too...I loved Gypsy, sad to see it go...I mean honestly, Captain Sparrow was both, Gypsy and Pirate! And Neopets is just for fun, at least for me...so why take the fun out? Are all the Neopets gonna start wearing masks? Neopets is about escaping reality for me, please don't take the fantasy out of it...there are plenty of reminders of the horrors all around us. I hope those horrors don't "bleed" into Neopets too...
serpentshrine, January 29, 2021 2:55 PM NST
What? Where on earth is pirate a slur? If you mean ever used as a general insult, well, that's not the same as a slur.

Besides this should count as taking the real world OUT of neopets. Albeit a slur, it was still used as an alt way to refer to romani people's. (And then some) neopets are not the romani.

That's like if I called the NPCs in neopia central Yanks. Not a slur, mind you, but it's another way to refer to US citizens. Wouldn't really fit, no?
herdy - JN Staff, January 29, 2021 3:22 PM NST
HW is based on the stereotypes of 1800s England and Eastern Europe, real people too.
Neopets as a whole is based off stereotypes. It’s important to differentiate between those that are simply characters with poor morals and representations of an entire group that are harmful.
spacegoblim, January 29, 2021 3:22 PM NST
I think Lokaula is trying to be funny by being incredible cringe, a slur is a slur, is not that you find some words ok that make them ok if a group is being demonized and people are using these words to demonize them the minimal you can do is stop using a word that I bet you use more on your comment than the entirety of last year. Or you are these dofus that think g-slur is equaled to free spirit or whatever racist/xenophobic mindset you decide to put real people cultures in for your own "aesthetic"...
serpentshrine, January 29, 2021 3:31 PM NST
Uh huh sure. We'll agree to disagree, Herdy.
dave - JN Staff, January 29, 2021 4:16 PM NST
@serpentshrine: I don't disagree with you about the MI cannibals being removed... but what content is there to remove? All that's coming to mind is one item. (https://items.jellyneo.net/item/61099/)

They seemed to really only ever be featured in the old TCG, an old sponsored comic book, and occasionally an Advent animation. With Flash dead, and obviously an out of print TCG, it kind of feels like that's already been "removed" to an extent. Whereas the wanderer content was very prevalent in over 60 items and an area in the HW.
charybdis7, January 29, 2021 6:36 PM NST
When we're hyperfocusing on the 'cannibal islander' super racist trope, the actual issue is the whole entire set of 'islander' style tropes the site relies on, and has relied on for years.
Equating the the mystery island stuff to haunted woods' western-trope-dependant halloween foods stuff is completely missing the point. These are not equivalent and most of you know this.
Other things to redesign/re-look at would be: shenkuu. lost desert. lutari island, but like, that's dead so... not much of a problem anymore. The haunted fairegrounds maybe with some of their characters. Other things would be like 'are the visuals here probematic' etc.
pikachu315111, January 29, 2021 7:29 PM NST
Oh hey, they actually removed "Gypsy" and changed it to "Wanderer". That's nice, being a bit more culturally sensitive. Curious what people on JN think of them being called "Wanderer", I think it's fine and fitting since would be too on the nose to call them Romani though I know some were rooting for "Nomad"... *Checks Comments*

*Heavy sigh*

serpentshrine, January 29, 2021 7:59 PM NST
Fair enough Dave. I assumed there was more because the AC keeps reminding me they exist. Simply not mentioning them again is fine enough with me.

I'll leave it at this though. As Charybdis said there's actually a lot of problems with several areas, the cannibal tribe just felt the easiest to tackle for me.
pikachu315111, January 29, 2021 8:14 PM NST
@apophis324 (I do hope there are no "Indian" or "Eskimo" items )

* There aren't. Any Inuit stuff has been absorbed into Terror Mountain's culture. And there's really no Native American stuff as far as I can tell, Neopets is oddly missing a Wild West-themed world.

@apophis324 (Although calling it a Wanderers Camp... It's kinda stationary )

* They could move if they wanted, but in the Haunted Woods sometimes having familiar stomping grounds isn't a bad idea.

@tyuio_k50 (I wish they'd changed the group to be something established, a name not a descriptor, ie "The Wanderers" instead just "Wanderers" )

* Get what you mean but at same time they're not the only "wanderers". "Wanderer" is a general nickname they accept refers to them, though they probably have an actual group name they identify with.
* If I were to name them I'd go with "Ineomor" ("Romani" backwards with "Neo" part of the name).

@herdy (in order to do that justice they'd need the resources and the ability to do a good plot. )

* Do they? That sounds like something they could quickly cover in a small event. Maybe get them involved with next year's Halloween event.

@i_love_latin (I'm pretty stoked about the next round of beta games! )

* With them essentially rereleasing games I think now would be a good time to do something with AAA, like have mini-DDs/GMCs whenver they release a batch of games.

@apophis324 (does that mean they'll rename the White Paint Brush into a Colourless Paint Brush? )

* ... what? This parallel boggles my mind. In what way is "White PB" offensive?! It's referring to the color not a social group! PLEASE, let's not start throwing around false equivalences around...

@aviagua (I really hope at some point TNT gives the option to permanently pin the sidebar open )

* I second this!

@herdy (cannibalism isn't even isolated to MI. (...) The Monocerous regularly eats JubJubs. )

* I don't think that one counts as the Monocerous is a monster, not co
pikachu315111, January 29, 2021 8:14 PM NST
* I don't think that one counts as the Monocerous is a monster, not counted as a "Neopet" like Lupes & Chia are (honestly what Neopets call "Species" is more "Sub-Species" ).

@charybdis7 (When we're hyperfocusing on the 'cannibal islander' super racist trope, the actual issue is the whole entire set of 'islander' style tropes )

* Held off on commenting about the cannibal discussion as I saw this post by charybdis7, and I agree. The problem here is more the Polynesian islander stereotypes. A while ago I listed a few character design traits they probably wouldn't do nowadays:
* Jhuidah is wearing a coconut brassiere.
* Island Mystic has a bone through his nose (Tiki Tack Man's mask also has a spike through the "nose" part).
apophis324, January 30, 2021 1:49 AM NST
@Pikachu315111
On the topic of the White Paint Brush, I've already tried to make it clear that was a joke. The problem is that it does make you think. Because teeeechnically I can have a Shadow Kacheek (which is black in colours) and paint it with a White Paint Brush, making them white. What I am trying to say and have been trying to say though some people still seem to think I'm offended by people being offended by me (as spacegoblim likes to point out), is that there is a difference between racial insensitivity and racial representation.

The worlds of Neopia represent ancient cultures. Shenkuu represents old Asian traditions, Lost Desert is based on ancient Egypt, Altador on ancient Greece/Italy and so on. Is it racist to represent a race? Plus, I think Mystery Island is more than just a representation of Polynesian stereotypes. There are more islands out there after all.

But please, let's at least drop the White Paint Brush from the discussion as nobody, myself included, sees that as racial incensitive. It's just a colour (or.. not really.. White is not a colour, it's all colours).
apophis324, January 30, 2021 1:55 AM NST
Sorry for the double post, I have to correct my thinking a little bit. I erronously assumed Polynesian culture centred mostly on Hawaii, but it seems to span all the way to New Zealand even. Learning new things every day ^^
That being said there are still other islands, outside Polynesia, out there
herdy - JN Staff, January 30, 2021 3:53 AM NST
I’m not stirring anything up here — genuinely interested. What do people find problematic about the broader representations in Mystery Island, Shenkuu, and the Lost Desert?
They each represent the 1700-1800 versions of their geographic areas rather than their modern day counterparts. Generally speaking, allowing for Neopets being a fantasy land with magic and stuff, I’ve never seen anything greatly offensive in their portrayals.
apophis324, January 30, 2021 7:08 AM NST
@herdy: I'm with you on this one

I think the problem may come (and this is just speculation, so I have no trouble admitting this to be wrong) from people seeing something as a stereotype (for example, the conical straw hats some Shenkuu inhabitants wear) and is therefor something bad. That such hats were indeed (and maybe even still are) worn, especially by people living in farming areas and are therefor in itself not a racist stereotype is then less important.
Again: Speculation. No idea if any of this is true. Also, I'm not comparing conical hats to racial slur.
pikachu315111, January 30, 2021 8:42 AM NST
@apophis324:
I apologize if I sound like I'm accusing you of anything, it's just that you picked such a wild example I had to comment on it. We'll drop it, but I would suggest choosing your examples more carefully even if you want to do a sense of hyperbole.

And how did I know someone was going to bring up "technically white isn't a color". Yes, I think we all know that by now, but in the context of how it's being used in the particular example (a PB & Colour) it would be consider a color.

@herdy:
1700-1800? Maybe for Shenkuu (of East Asia cultures like China & Japan). Lost Desert is 3k-1k BC Ancient Egypt. Meanwhile Mystery Island has lot of stereotypes that actually aren't properly part of the Polynesian cultures. To answer your question, there isn't any problem with Lost Desert and Shenkuu as they're depicting old versions of the culture. However for Mystery Island:

* First, I think we should go over that, unlike the term Gypsy, there's nothing really insensitive to the examples I'm about to point out. It's more just what's being portrayed is either inaccurate or a very specific cultural thing that nowadays you probably wouldn't just add onto a character for decoration.
* Island Mystic and Tiki Tack Man's Mask both depict "bone" piercings. Now from what I read it's mainly worn by men of cultures that do it (such as the Papua New Guinea natives) and different tribes has their own reason (many use it as a rite of passage). It's also rarely seen outside of special occasions, so in a regard it's like jewelry you only wear during parties. Now for the Island Mystic they gave it to him to give him a more "island voodoo man" vibe.
* Jhuidah has a few quirks about her appearance. First, the coconut brassiere and grass skirt aren't actually traditional Hawaiian, they were added to Hula performances for western audiences (from what I read they just wore whatever top covering they had and a skirt made from fresh ti leaves). Also I just realized Jhuidah is wea
pikachu315111, January 30, 2021 8:42 AM NST
Also I just realized Jhuidah is wearing neck rings, which isn't Polynesian at all (few cultures use them, such as groups in Thailand and Africa). The neck rings give an illusion of a longer neck (seen as a sign of beauty) by pushing the shoulder and rib cage down while growing (girls in such cultures usually start wearing neck rings while young, adding more as they get older). Woman with neck rings usually can't take them off with suffering pain which could also lead to death. So it's a very specific practice that I'm not sure is just something to throw onto a character, especially if it's from a culture that character isn't even representing.
herdy - JN Staff, January 30, 2021 9:23 AM NST
Sakhmet bleeds into Arabian Nights more than Ancient Egypt which was compiled 1700s I think?
Equally I disagree that MI is representative solely of Polynesia— rather, I’ve always thought it represents all of Oceana aside from Australia with aspects of South America as well. That’s a fair broad range of cultures that are condensed.
apophis324, January 30, 2021 10:35 AM NST
Maybe we should just stop comparing Neopia to the real world too much ^^ And sorry Pika, I wasn't trying to get an apology from you, I guess I was just a little frustrated people seemed to misunderstand me. All good, all good
sweetadeline, January 30, 2021 1:22 PM NST
@apophis324 Painting something shadow/white is the same as a slur name that people have rightfully taken issue with for a long time? You're this dedicated to defending them changing a name? Something that doesn't affect you whatsoever. Yeah, you're just joking but still going on and on about your point which doesn't even make sense. It just seems to me that you're offended about them not using a slur now which says plenty about you as a person.
pikachu315111, January 30, 2021 4:09 PM NST
@herdy:
* Ah, right, duh *facepalm*. Though, just because the Arabian Nights were compiled in the 1700s doesn't mean that's when the tales were made. Most of the Arabian Nights tales existed in verbal form before then, much like with the Brothers Grimm collecting the European folktales and put them in written form during the 1800s.
* As for MI, I'll concede the culture condensation includes a lot of Oceana. I guess we should just leave it at, unless someone from that culture complains about it, there's no need to change it if it's not considered a widely harmful image.

@apophis324:
I wouldn't say stop comparing Neopia to the real world, the Neopia lands provide a small look into other cultures in its own unique ways and could teach people about something they may not have known (or make them think outside their own culture).
I can understand the frustration. While I do prefer writing/typing over actually speaking, I also know how limited it can be at expressing your actual thoughts unless you write it out (or creatively use text formats & emoticons). My attitude leans snarky/sarcastic/sardonic which means I can easily come off as mean-spirited unless I specifically note the emotion I'm trying to convey, but in doing so sort of lets the air out of the balloon of the expression. A tricky tightrope to balance on.
pikachu315111, January 30, 2021 4:29 PM NST
@sweetadeline:
* They were being hyperbolic. Apophis324 has said they supported the change cause it was a harmful slur, however the discussion went on to other possible "political correct" changes and they just wanted to give the thought that this thinking can easily get out of hand. They just picked a poor example to get their point across.
* Off the top of my head, maybe a better hyperbolic example would be having issue with associating Darkness Faeries with the negative word "dark" and the Light Faeries with the positive word "light"; suggesting Darkness Faeries be called "Evening Faeries" and Light Faeries be called "Noon Faeries". This is obviously an overblown example of social justice-ing as the connotation of "dark" being negative and "light" being positive is purely subjective; though it also overlooks the general attitudes the majority of these Faeries portray as well which would also fit within the stereotype or are proud being the element they are. Also, since Faeries aren't real, there is no real world group who is being hurt with the terminology. But still, the argument can be made "not all Dark/Light Faeries" I can even then spilling connecting the Faeries to real world groups (which is kind of easy to do as I almost did it while writing this up). So while they used a not good example, the point they were trying to convey is still one to keep in mind as not to see the forest for the trees.
morganjoisle, January 31, 2021 9:03 AM NST
I hope that they don't remove cannibalism from the site. Blumaroo Steaks are a classic part of Neopian lore.
morganjoisle, January 31, 2021 9:57 AM NST
Also neopets is marketed towards kids. So even though I've never heard the word "gypsy" used as insult in my life, if it's derogatory in another culture it's probably going to hurt their family friendly image and lose them customers overseas. I'm surprised that it took them so long to make such a cursory change if it would help their branding.
combustibles, January 31, 2021 11:34 PM NST
still hating the beta appearance, I haven't logged in more than once or twice during January, but I can appreciate the work that they're putting into the site.

I do think it's silly how american sensibilities are overtaking the site and everything slightly off colour has to be changed, but then again the rest of the world seems to be bending the knee when it comes to not offending the americans.
lucien, February 2, 2021 3:50 AM NST
@comustibles This change is not about "offending the Americans" lol. As was previously mentioned, "Gypsy" is primarily considered a slur in Europe where many Romani people live and where many Neopets players are from, it isn't just an American issue. People have been asking for this change for years.