Earn NP from playing games!
Help us model your pets!
Learn the meaning to all Neopian words, phrases and acronyms!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Charity Corner

Charity Corner Update
  • Posted on September 15, 2020, 2:35 pm NST

Gutterfoot has posted an update on Charity Corner in the r/neopets Discord and the Official Neopets Team Notice Board today:

Hi everyone!

As many of you know, Charity Corner was released this year with a few changes. We wanted to take a moment to talk about these changes, as well as address the concerns we've heard from the users since we launched the event yesterday.

The first thing we’d like to talk about is the removal of perks. During last year’s Charity Corner, the site encountered some technical difficulties as a result of their implementation. This year, our dev team has been focusing their main efforts on converting the site in preparation for the end of Flash. This dev team is also responsible for working on all site events, including Charity Corner. In the interest of directing efforts towards the site’s conversion and to avoid unforeseen site bugs and user difficulties due to perks, they were removed from the event.

We’d also like to address the issue of sticky snowballs. This adjustment was made as a necessary balance change; the Charity Corner donation items are intended to be worth the same amount that it takes to obtain them. The team never intended to intentionally obstruct the event due to this balance change, and we’d like to apologize for any miscommunication this change may have caused.

We’ve heard your comments and concerns regarding Charity Corner this year, and we’d like to make this right. Adjustments will be made to the prize shop; prices will be reduced on all prizes, and you’ll be able to claim a free gift of 500 points to use in whichever purchase you wish. The price changes will be rolling out immediately, and those 500 points will be coming your way soon.

We know we've let you down this year, but we truly do value the community and want to thank you for keeping an open dialogue with us. Our team is doing its best to ensure the future of Neopets, and we hope you’ll stick with us as we work to modernize the site approaching the end of 2020.

- TNT

(The changes to prizes are already live.)

i_love_latin, September 15, 2020 2:44 PM NST
Wow! I'm impressed with how quickly and openly they responded to everyone's concerns. That's impressive given how much chaos is going on between the pandemic and the flash conversions.
tyuio_k50, September 15, 2020 2:44 PM NST
still doesn't make it better

I don't understand why the functional perks from last year couldn't be carried over.

I don't accept the apology for their miscommunication (?) regarding the Sticky Snowball. By the reasoning they gave, they should adjust the value for each item individually.
begeorge2424, September 15, 2020 2:51 PM NST
I don't agree with the sticky decision, but I really like the response to feedback, so thanks TNT! And being a web developer, I totally understand the need to cut back on event development temporarily to allow for the flash conversion to move along smoothly.
maxgarou, September 15, 2020 3:08 PM NST
I prefer this year's CC than the previous year's.
Prizes are nice IMO. I usually don't reach top prizes because I try not to hoard items (silly me), so I don't have a lot to give to charity, but I'm hoping this year I can get those swords, they might not be strong or very useful, but I loved the design, hehehe. If not, well the other prizes are pretty, and maybe (just maybe if they don't ask tens of millions for it) to make use of my saved NP to acquire it.
1jediboy, September 15, 2020 3:44 PM NST
"We know we've let you down this year, but we truly do value the community and want to thank you for keeping an open dialogue with us."

AWWWWWWW!!!!!!! 😢 I still love you!!! Thank you for addressing this!!!
topologist, September 15, 2020 3:55 PM NST
I really appreciate where they're coming from... but not giving me back the points I spent on the items when they were more expensive is extremely in poor taste.
starships, September 15, 2020 3:57 PM NST
I like the apology, but waiting for them to fix up missing points for users who already spent them! They best be reimbursed, or that's an extremely poor lapse in judgement to punish users who participated already despite the changes..
pikachu315111, September 15, 2020 4:08 PM NST
Alright, I guess with them converting the site we can give them some slack if the Perks would have been a mess to implement alongside it. I appreciate with them being open like this and going out of their way to lower the costs of the prizes (and sticking with their decision to keep Sticky Snowballs at 1 point is a gutsy move... of course from what I can tell Icy Snowballs still go for 4 points, oops lol).
parody_ham, September 15, 2020 4:12 PM NST
I'm glad they responded in such detail in such a short time. I suppose a more simplified version of the event was doable and something more complex coding-wise was off the table with all of the flash conversion stuff occurring...
blu, September 15, 2020 4:38 PM NST
You know the vitriol was intense when we get a detailed apology and correction in under 24 hours xD Very pleased to see this.
lilith__x, September 15, 2020 4:53 PM NST
have they officially stated they're not refunding the balance difference for the points already spent?
sketch, September 15, 2020 5:06 PM NST
I really appreciate the transparency and get where they're coming from! I personally didn't have much issues with this year's CC and i didn't hoard sticky snowballs, though i did like perks but like i said, i do understand where they're coming from! Though i do wish they would've address and adjusted the awful loot box rates but i just won't be purchasing them
myflickyflapp, September 15, 2020 5:51 PM NST
I can respect the fact they acknowledge letting us down and revealing their lack of resources. That's pretty big taking into account a poor communication history.
allykatz, September 15, 2020 5:59 PM NST
I'm glad they've responded, but I'm still worried we'll lose some classic flash games even with TNT devoting most efforts to conversion. Also, why are these swords not better in the BD?? That's the main reason I participate in these things -- the event reward weapons!
shia, September 15, 2020 6:38 PM NST
Well now all the prizes have gone down drastically in price they'll all be worth next to nothing because the market will be flooded so I genuinely hope people weren't hoping to see the NP they used on mass-buying r90s back from the swords or the stamp. So far the loot box odds are still flush-your-points-away bonkers so the only thing worth playing for now is the trophy.

I'm so tired of the excuse for everything for the past couple of years being "we're just focusing our efforts on flash conversion", when I'll bet my bottom dollar when it finally comes out it will still be riddled with issues as TNT have proven time and time and again that's what they do best with every. Single. Event. I'm just out of sympathy. Straight up. Stop churning out can-kicking mobile apps that no-one has been asking for and hire more people or ask for the help of the community. My TNT empathy tank is about dried up after the last few years of poor decisions and no communication. They wouldn't even be in this deadline if they hadn't spent the last 15 years digging their feet in the ground and staying in their old ways. They're maddening.
anomally, September 15, 2020 6:47 PM NST
Shia,

You do know they only have about 7 people on the entire NP staff right?
bonju, September 15, 2020 7:00 PM NST
Sad it took a whole topic of people cancelling their Premium for them to speak up. I appreciate the attempt to communicate with us but um, the box ratios are the same, they didn't acknowledge that the problem with the sticky snowballs was that they didn't tell us beforehand, and now people are mad because they didn't reimburse the points they already spent.
I'm so sad and disappointed. I always try to keep optimistic but in this particular event I feel right down insulted as a long time player
bonju, September 15, 2020 7:02 PM NST
Oh yeah at least they acknowledged the fact that the event was a total let down
insane000illusions, September 15, 2020 7:41 PM NST
Ya know this is nice. A lot of times they don't say anything at all when there are complaints. It's nice they are responding and it makes sense that if the perks caused bugs they wouldn't want to deal with that this year. I bet they are under a lot of pressure trying to make the changes needed by the end of the year. There is only 3 1/2 months left. I'd much rather know they are working on making the site so it will still work next year. I don't know about ya'll but 2020 has been bad enough. I couldn't stand the loss of neo.
maxgarou, September 15, 2020 7:59 PM NST
Wow! The prizes' price really went down, A LOT!
There are no exclusive items for this event on the Mystery capsules, right?
absolutejudith, September 15, 2020 8:10 PM NST
That stinks. I already purchased everything I wanted. No reduction for me!!!!
avalerion, September 15, 2020 8:54 PM NST
Still probably not going to bother this year.
stories2btold, September 15, 2020 9:59 PM NST
The real question is why is CC even an event when do annually when literally every other event is better?
peppermint, September 15, 2020 10:55 PM NST
The annoying thing about this whole fiasco is that TNT explains it was changed to this form because they were worried it wouldn't mesh well with the upcoming site transition.

Okay. It's reasonable. However...

They PLANNED weeks, months in advance, that the CC would like this. SO WHY two or three weeks ago couldn't they have said in the news: "Hey Neopians! Heads up! Charity Corner will be coming back, but with some big changes we had to make to keep things running smoothly after the site transitions to away from Flash at the end of the year. Enjoy this new format and bear with it, and beware of melting snowballs!"

Problem solved - Neopia would have appeased. Information would have been given, hints would have been dropped. No one would have rage-quit.

I'm oddly reminded of Office Space when the two Bob's were interviewing Tom: "I deal with the customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills!"
inkpot, September 16, 2020 12:27 AM NST
Eh, this makes me happy to read this.

And honestly, IMO, to those who don’t like how the items in the prize shop will likely deflate... don’t buy them? If you want them buy them 2nd hand and use your points toward the mystery boxes? Idk... I mean this still isn’t ideal, I’d still have liked the perks come back but what’s done is done. & We got an apology.
apophis324, September 16, 2020 1:07 AM NST
Okay people, I think we're all being a bit too hard on TNT now. It's not about you, it's about the game and community. It's probably a heck of a lot harder to transfer a mostly flash-based site to HTML5 than any of us (and probably most of them) realise(d). I think handing out items instead of perks is a good decision (mostly because I didn't care about the perks anyway, aside from those that gave unobtainable avatars and site themes), especially as it gives them less of a headache.

The groveling at the end of their message was a bit much though.
marfbear, September 16, 2020 1:21 AM NST
Have they given out the free 500 points yet? I still have only the 120 I got yesterday.
olcia1446, September 16, 2020 1:57 AM NST
"It's probably a heck of a lot harder to transfer a mostly flash-based site to HTML5 than any of us (and probably most of them) realise(d)." - they had minumum 3 years to do that. It's super silly to start on the last minute.
yasmin_sb, September 16, 2020 2:35 AM NST
I'm impressed that they actually addressed this, but everyone's in uproar about the changes so they could hardly ignore it. I did wonder whether the basic prize shop instead of perks was due to the workload they already have with the conversion. I'm still pretty bummed there are no perks though...
itaxerxes, September 16, 2020 4:11 AM NST
What a mess. TNT is so disgusting and disrespectful. I want my 2500 points back because they reduced the price of the stamp. There was no need to reduce the price of the stamp and sword, changing the caps would have been enough. I also want my 500 extra points. I hope they fix this because it is not our fault that we bought the things already. They told us that the shop closes after the event and I might not have time for CC next week, so I bought the stamp to be safe, just to discover that they reduced it this morning and I again lost points because of their mistakes. I'm so glad I didn't buy premium
aquarius_babe, September 16, 2020 4:35 AM NST
Are they going to refund the people that bought at full points? I am down 6250 prize points cos of this as I bought yesterday as I am back at work when the CC closes. I also never got the 500 extra points.
0o0slytherinpride0o0, September 16, 2020 4:50 AM NST
Shouldn't all items from dailies be worth 1 then?

They could at least add the boons from the Obelisk, too. All I want is the bank boon, TNT!
masterdeals, September 16, 2020 5:31 AM NST
@dave New item has been added to the slot machine to trudy's suprise. A maquran frisbee. I'm about to send it and see if it's new.
sakeru187, September 16, 2020 6:31 AM NST
I don't get why people go right ahead with spending points on any event because more often than not it is glitched! I mean how many times does it have to happen before people learn? While I get TNT should already have the bugs figured out before releasing things but still, common sense with the past experience tells you to be sure to wait a little bit to be sure everything works.

Flash is supposed to close this December isn't it? I'd prefer they work on converting Neo than do CC so we have time to do the Halloween event, GMC and SS instead. But thanks TNT for working on it all and trying!
mysticmirella, September 16, 2020 6:47 AM NST
I just tried to purchase an item (I have plenty of points for it) and I didn't work : my points are intact and I don't have the item; there is no error message or anything...
mysticmirella, September 16, 2020 6:50 AM NST
Oops, never mind the above : Total Prize Points Earned: 2,500 Prize Points Left: 0 Prize Points Spent: 1,250; this is confusing.
butterflyvj, September 16, 2020 7:21 AM NST
Well as others have stated, I'd rather them focus on Flash conversion of the site to lose as little as possible. I understand not wanting to address the bugs, which is probably what they meant by "perfect." I understand wanting to devalue the Sticky Snowball, but it just doesn't make any sense when there's other Snowballs still of value at the Healing Springs.

Either way, it's better to be transparent with the users and I hope people are able to get their points back. Thanks for addressing this, TNT.
thecrazyoo, September 16, 2020 8:04 AM NST
Well that was... another fiasco
infernodragon02, September 16, 2020 9:00 AM NST
Icy Snowballs, among other items, are available just like the Sticky Snowballs and didn't face a point reduction.

TNT, you're just incompetent.
dave - JN Staff, September 16, 2020 10:32 AM NST
@mysticmirella: It looks like if you originally had 2500 points, and you spent those 2500 points before the price cut, you still have 0 points to spend. I haven't seen any refunds yet, but the "points spent" amount looks to be looking at the items you purchased and totals it up using their *current* price instead of the original. Your "Points Spent" should say 2500. :\
alli_draggy, September 16, 2020 11:07 AM NST
In all honesty, the Charity Corner perks last year were overpowered, just letting the rich get richer and allowing converted pets and NP to lose all meaning. I noticed that they seriously messed up the pet trading meta, item values, and the Neopian economy, both in pet trading and items. They basically broke the Neopets meta entirely, so I totally understand getting rid of them. I get why people were upset, I wouldn't have minded zapping XiN0NiX Wraith with a perk, but if a feature breaks the game and gives people serious unfair advantages, they need to get rid of it to balance out the game. I actually prefer the prize-shop model: it still provides an economic advantage to people who participated in the event, but doesn't mess things up too horribly for people who didn't like the perks did.
annie123, September 16, 2020 12:26 PM NST
@alli_draggy for me personally what I wanted from the event was retired site themes or avatars, and from the people I've talked to MOST wanted those

Also in my opinion the economy is already all sorts of wonky, take for example draik eggs and morphs being deflated, trudy's surprise and the new premium perk. I honestly don't think last year's perks really changed much economy wise
combustibles, September 16, 2020 1:00 PM NST
I appreciate the explanation, but I still think it's hilariously incompetent that they couldn't see this happening a year ahead when last year's CC ended.

The neo-economy is in the pits and I don't think they'll ever be able to fix it, sticky snowball or not.
mavegibson, September 16, 2020 2:58 PM NST
@alli_draggy I would not support taking away what most fans want, just so a few people can play their 'meta'.

I appreciate the explanation, but feel the remedies were incomplete. They should refund points spent on full price items. They should restore some of the value of sticky snow - put it on par with the others that are available in the shop. They should give us the 500 points they claimed to be giving us.
sarah_rulz119, September 16, 2020 8:51 PM NST
You have got to be kidding me. We're in the middle of a pandemic, the staff is significantly smaller (and under a significant amount of pressure already), likely working from their OWN equipment, dealing with the challenges of *gestures around*, and THIS is the hill people are willing to die on?! THIS is what gets your jimmies rustled? The sense of entitlement for a bunch of pixels is astounding, paid subscription or not. I'm impressed they were even able to put this on at all!
maxgarou, September 16, 2020 9:21 PM NST
@sarah_rulz119
Bravo.
1jediboy, September 16, 2020 10:19 PM NST
@sarah_rulz119 -

THANK YOU!!! 🤩😭 I love this site no matter WHAT kind of content or lack thereof, and everyone putting
1jediboy, September 16, 2020 10:22 PM NST
TNT down like this without a single bit of slack, hurts me to my core!
jeggonsfather, September 17, 2020 8:48 AM NST
Euhm, so I clicked on the free box (500points), chose the Tier 1 box and BOEMMMM:

ALL.MY.POINTS.ARE GONE
geminipjp_a88, September 18, 2020 11:51 AM NST
I understand the situation regarding the the site/Flash, etc.

However, I do believe that TNT could have notified everyone ahead of time about the changes to the CC event. I'm ok with the Prize shop items, but letting us know ahead of time would have been helpful. In fact, TNT staff post on Boards requesting our imput on NC items.. Why wouldn't they take the time to do so in this instance.