Complete the Altador Mini-Plot!
Every editorial question answered just a search away!
Try on all the latest Neopian fashions!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Charity Corner

Charity Corner Live
  • Posted on September 14, 2020, 3:21 pm NST

The Charity Corner event is now live! This year, Granny Hopbobbin is gathering donations to convert into relief supplies for the citizens of Dacardia (as seen in Island Builders). She's employed Captain Rourke to ship the supplies to the islands of Dacardia.

A big change this year is the lack of a perks shop. Instead, 14 item prizes are available to purchase. Three of the items are "mystery capsules" that will award random NP items. Another notable change is Sticky Snowballs being downgraded to count for only 1 point, rather than the usual 8 points from prior years. (Yes, that's the sound of the Sticky Snowball market crashing harder than Faerieland.)

We are getting our guide together, in which you can see the changes to this year's format:

With the start of the event, we've also got a glimpse of where Dacardia is located in Neopia:

biediep, September 14, 2020 3:32 PM NST
MAN, I've hated the perk system for years and now that I need the LE species thingamajig back, they don't do perks XD
But oh my gosh I need that stamp and THAT PETPET I kinda love it! Can we spend our points immediately during the event or do we have to wait for it to be over? /flails I better start donating either way!
dave - JN Staff, September 14, 2020 3:34 PM NST
@biediep: You can spend immediately.
blackbird360z, September 14, 2020 3:34 PM NST
no perks?!
deedee60, September 14, 2020 3:36 PM NST
WTH no perks? I wanted the bank boon for a year again.
missmoo33172, September 14, 2020 3:36 PM NST
Very disappointed that this is summer/island themed as we're just now moving into fall and they just released fall mystery capsules. Don't even get me started about them removing the perk shop smh.
debgil, September 14, 2020 3:41 PM NST
Looking forward to your guide!

Have to admit, I hated glitched perks, but I really was hoping to get upgraded bank interest and cheaper stocks. Ugh. Guess I have to keep doing faction battles. *le sigh*
sketch, September 14, 2020 3:43 PM NST
Is it normal that i already have 420 points in the prize shop before even donating
debgil, September 14, 2020 3:44 PM NST
*cough* Why is the stamp "wearable"???
biediep, September 14, 2020 3:46 PM NST
Does anyone else's "checklist" page CONSTANTLY refresh while trying to donate? I'll get to like 4 or 5 out of 15 checkmarks and then I have to start over -_- Super annoying.
jawsch, September 14, 2020 3:47 PM NST
Very upset no perks personally and the items are all garbage IMO
debgil, September 14, 2020 3:48 PM NST
I was quickly trying to spend my last points from the 2019 CC today, I still had 4977 points left. When I look at the 2020 CC, before I start playing, it shows:
Total Prize Points Earned: 1,877
So evidently they did give us a portion of unused points from last year.
_sissiy_sis_369, September 14, 2020 3:51 PM NST
Sticky snowballs are only worth 1 point!
debgil, September 14, 2020 3:54 PM NST
So it doesn't go by rarity? And, sorry, but BWAHAHAHAHA on the sticky snowballs.
myflickyflapp, September 14, 2020 3:55 PM NST
Soo, are leftover points in the 2019 Perks Shop unable to be used now? http://www.neopets.com/charitycorner/2019/perks/ It appears I'm still able to attempt purchasing them. If so, maybe you can double-dip with what they apparently have carried over AND use your old points still.
parody_ham, September 14, 2020 3:59 PM NST
Why are the sticky snowballs only 1 point?! D:
biediep, September 14, 2020 3:59 PM NST
I found the refreshing problem, so never mind on that
Was also super annoyed, spent my 19k leftover points from last year in a hurry only to find out I started off this year with ~1k points, which is what I had left so they did carry over. Could've bought the stamp without having to donate ;u;
sketch, September 14, 2020 4:05 PM NST
I had 900 points last year and now have 420 points converted to this year so idk what conversion rate they went with this year but if last year's shop is still open it seems like i could still redeem them
debgil, September 14, 2020 4:07 PM NST
Well, it isn't exactly taking advantage of a glitch, more taking advantage of JN ineptness, but I certainly am not willing to lose my account to try to double dip.
debgil, September 14, 2020 4:09 PM NST
Oops, didn't mean JN, mean JS! Apologies.
That's what I get for trying to be in neopia, jellyneo and doing pokemon go all at the same time. I am not good at multitasking! HAHA
pikachu315111, September 14, 2020 4:10 PM NST
"This year, Granny Hopbobbin is gathering donations to convert into relief supplies for the citizens of Dacardia (as seen in Island Builders). She's employed Captain Rourke to ship the supplies to the island of Dacardia."

CALLED IT! I CALLED IT!
pikachu315111, September 14, 2020 4:15 PM NST
Oh wait, Captain Rourke! Neat to see him again!

"A big change this year is the lack of a perks shop. Instead, 11 item prizes are available to purchase. Some of the items are "mystery capsules" that will award random NP items."

Oh, that's quite different! Wait... then that mean no more year long Bank Bribery & Cheaper By The Dozen? Oh well, nice while we had them. Curious what the mystery capsules giveaway, it sort of sounds like my "capsule machine" idea which is an exciting prospect.
pikachu315111, September 14, 2020 4:18 PM NST
Sounds like there's a glitch where all items are worth 1 point. However according to the dialogue:

"The rarer the donation, the more points get rewarded."

So, yeah, wait until they fix this!
zinkro, September 14, 2020 4:22 PM NST
13) Can I still donate Snowballs?

Yes... however last year, it froze the gears of the "Living with Less" machine so Atsumi made some alterations. They're only worth one point, now.

14) How long will the 'Saving Dacardia' relief effort last?

'Saving Dacardia' will start September 14th and end on September 24th. The shop will be available for the duration of the event so you should be sure to get your prizes while it's still open.
noradoodle, September 14, 2020 4:22 PM NST
Oof the site is under such a heavy load at the moment. None of the pages will even load for me. I suppose that's not surprising people are scrambling to get that petpet and stamp.

I really wish they would have given us a choice between perks or the items though...
pikachu315111, September 14, 2020 4:35 PM NST
@ zinkro:
Oh... well that's a slap in the face for those who were saving up snowballs. At the very least just slash how many points they give in half, don't make them just worth 1 point!

And from what it sounds like the Mystery Capsules are probably not going to be my "Capsule Machine" idea afterall, and worst now we don't have the perks! I'll participate of course but it's not looking so great...
debgil, September 14, 2020 4:35 PM NST
Just had a thought that the old perk shop is still open because it shows the expiration date of the perks I bought today. So maybe that shows up, but you can't use the points any more?
pigfish99, September 14, 2020 4:41 PM NST
Sticky snowball hoarders: NOO!!! YOU JUST CAN'T NERF THE POINTS OF THEM!

charity corner: haha points go brrrrrr
kaiwolf, September 14, 2020 4:45 PM NST
This will be my first Charity Corner, and I was so excited to try and earn some of those fabled Perks...

Removing Perks just feels like a big slap in the face to me. It's the main reason I wanted in. And of course they destroyed the Sticky Snowball idea, because they can Nevermind the actual gameplay and effort put in to visit the Springs every 30 min, on top of scouring SW for legitimate cheap items.

General Store is still open as of posting. But I wouldn't even be surprised if they ban Blue Short Hair Brush, too :C
sketch, September 14, 2020 4:45 PM NST
"Burrrrrp! perk activated successfully."

Old perk shop is still working... and points in new shop haven't gone down
dave - JN Staff, September 14, 2020 4:47 PM NST
This feels like a compromise on the original Charity Corner format that rained down r99 items.

But a severely overpriced compromise... and at this point, the perks shop format was well liked enough that I don't think enough people miss the "drop rare items" format anymore compared to those who preferred the perks.
zinkro, September 14, 2020 4:56 PM NST
They could have sold the most-valued perks as well on the prize shop (Stocks, Bank Boon, and a couple others)
candyshopqwe, September 14, 2020 5:02 PM NST
Well. So glad I bought so many snowballs xD

i'm out y'all.
dave - JN Staff, September 14, 2020 5:10 PM NST
@candyshopqwe: No harm in saving your snowballs until next year... if there's enough uproar, maybe they'll switch back next time?

(IMO, they should just design the prize shop structure around the fact that everyone has hoarded these...)
ladyamethyst, September 14, 2020 5:13 PM NST
My honest opinions are not printable on this site.
No bank perk? No desire to do more than the bare minimum. I was going to open 400 Pawkeet Pinatas over the weekend... SO very glad I didn't.
crystalluxesparkle, September 14, 2020 5:15 PM NST
The avatar for participation is active.
mogster, September 14, 2020 5:15 PM NST
Well. so many people complained about perks, this is what we end up with. Couldn't just be happy to get something for clearing junk off the site.
firenrocks, September 14, 2020 5:33 PM NST
I'm going to be the odd one out here, but I think that TNT is going in the right direction with balancing CC with this. It just needs some tweaks.

I think the caps are a neat way to bring back some of the aspects of the old CC, but the drop rate/cost needs to be adjusted to make them worthwhile.

Having the perks "buyable" would be a nice addition as well. How about an item that increases your interest for a year when used, a ticket to rainbow fountain, etc. Plus all the items unique to the event. (stamps, BD items, wearables)

The situation with stickies is not a big factor to me. There is no guarantee with any event. For the first CCs you were limited to only certain categories of items, so you never knew ahead of time what would be accepted. How is this any different?
krasavitsa, September 14, 2020 5:46 PM NST
There isn't a trophy this year, right? I got the avatar & I think that's where I'll stop. This CC is a complete let down this year.
kiriska, September 14, 2020 5:50 PM NST
No perks, worthless snowballs, and STILL NO "SELECT ALL" on the donation page why this.
jessalynn, September 14, 2020 6:00 PM NST
Well the Sticky Snowball market is a rip-off. *facepalms*
endrave, September 14, 2020 6:03 PM NST
Rate the event: 1/10 no perks, saving snowballs the entire year for nothing, the avatar is not that great either, is horrible.
kiriska, September 14, 2020 6:07 PM NST
Big congrats to anyone who hoarded Icy Snowballs instead of Sticky Snowballs. They're 5np at the faerie and (still) worth 6 points, so technically, they were the better (np) investment all along. ._.
contessa, September 14, 2020 6:13 PM NST
Well I am glad that a few days ago I finally spent all of my perk points from 2019!

Sounds like it is a glitchy start so maybe I will wait to start until tomorrow. Sure will miss the Stocks and Bank boons!!
inkpot, September 14, 2020 6:22 PM NST
disappointed the perks aren't back...
i mean i guess this is to appease those who've been complaining about the perks but... meh.
jessalynn, September 14, 2020 6:27 PM NST
@kiriska: Maybe I should consider that for next year's Charity Corner...
sketch, September 14, 2020 6:29 PM NST
Oh update, the 2019 Perk Shop is now closed :o
kiriska, September 14, 2020 6:32 PM NST
Man, I keep thinking about this, and I think I'm mostly mad that they made a specific and concentrated target of the Sticky Snowball, which they clearly knew players were hoarding.

I would be less mad if they'd: changed the rarity of the snowball (why is it even a r100??), downgraded the worth of all snowballs available via healing springs, changed the point worth to be based on something other than rarity, or just removed the snowballs from healing springs (why are they even there honestly).

I know the snowball was never a guarantee and everyone hoarding them was making a gamble, but at the same time, this is TNT first encouraging a specific behaviour and then specifically making that behaviour utterly pointless, which will always feel like a betrayal to players.

If CC's intent is to just act as a big itemsink, it shouldn't ALSO be encouraging the creation of new items in the game (via healing springs, which is an infinite creator of new items). Sure, CC might, to some extent, encourage higher participation in dailies which generate useless items, but most of those items are useless with or without CC since their point value is low.

The snowball was an exception and it was a failure on TNT's part to fail to address this item from a rarity perspective or from an availability perspective. Especially since other similar items (Icy Snowball) are still fair game. This will just lead to new hoarding of the Icy Snowball if they continue to not actually address the problem

I suppose players feeling betrayed may prevent hoarding of new items, even the Icy Snowball, but I don't see how continued eroding of player confidence in the game and its management is beneficial either. I dunno. Maybe I'm being too dramatic, but I just feel this could've been addressed in a way better way.
catsrnice, September 14, 2020 6:39 PM NST
Alright well I stocked up on snowballs for a year but I guess Neopets doesn't want to allow fun so guess I'll head out.
taehyung_v, September 14, 2020 7:15 PM NST
Not sure what people thought was going to happen with the snowballs when they've been broadcasting "BUY YOUR SNOWBALLS" all over the boards for a year. It was obvious they'd be nerfed.
blu, September 14, 2020 7:57 PM NST
Nerfing snowballs with no warning was a really lame move. Not cool. I also don't understand why they change reward format every freakin year.
1jediboy, September 14, 2020 8:25 PM NST
@mogster - I'm happy to do that! I'm happy to clean up the planet! I love helping! I love being charitable!

OH! Dacardia is the backwards question mark island!!! 🤩
Thank goodness! we can finally see it!!! 😁

The Hegie looks like a "Yak-Skunk!" ADORABLE!!!!! ✋😆🤚
mavegibson, September 14, 2020 8:50 PM NST
0/10 this is the worst CC yet. There's not a single prize I have any interest in. At least with perks there was some value there year round. Now it's just a lamer version of every other site event.

Can't say I'm thrilled with the direction things have been going lately.
alex, September 14, 2020 9:11 PM NST
I only play this game because I'm addicted to it and it actually makes me unhappy to play. I suspect this is the case for a lot of players, especially the ones who have spent a lot of money. It has been months since I gave them any money and if enough people do that, they should learn that treating people like garbage is no longer profitable.
catriki, September 14, 2020 9:59 PM NST
I only really cared about the Site Themes perk, hoping that I could get one I had on a lost account back and praying that it would be made into a mobile version. Well. This was a letdown. Should I even bother going for any of the prizes at this point? None of them interest me and given how simple it is to get them during the event I doubt they will increase in value much afterward?
pancaketime, September 14, 2020 10:00 PM NST
I like the idea of the mystery capsules, but they are insanely over priced for the chance of getting anything good. You would need 400K in points for it to be statistically likely to get a r95-99 item, and even then, it would likely not be something exciting. I hope they consider either reducing the cost or changing the ratio on those.
pancaketime, September 14, 2020 10:25 PM NST
If they'd had only the Tier 1 style box for around 100 points, that would've been fun, and still would have required a lot of donations for a shot at something good.
yekith, September 14, 2020 10:42 PM NST
Ugh. With the previous system, I always had more than enough items to donate to get good stuff. I always even left a good part of the higher rarity books and toys you get from fishing for the next year so I wouldn't start collecting again from zero.

Now I more or less calculated how many points I'd get by donating ALL of those (I have 600+ of some) plus a lot more stuff I have lying around and I wouldn't even get half what's needed to get all the prizes. :/

It's ridiculous. I would like all the wearables, the petpet, the stamp, but...just ridiculous.
ducky - JN Staff, September 14, 2020 11:19 PM NST
No one forced anyone to buy Sticky Snowballs and everyone has done it willingly and must have known they may make changes.

It's a risk you take. It's a gamble.

I mostly care trophy at lookup, perks were bit meh to me. Personally. But still liked by others.

Prizeshop, cool. Not sure about these gambling boxes yet.
apophis324, September 14, 2020 11:55 PM NST
All the talk of Snowballs, but can we take a moment to think for a second? TNT went out of their way to add a big storm to the Explore page... but didn't think to make the Explore page Flash-free first... I would have assumed they'd have worked on that by now...

(Also, not a fan of how they drew and used captain Rourke, but that's just me, probably..)

Extra and: Why doesn't Granny Hopbobbin know how to say "darling"?
o_ya_toe_knee_is_gr8, September 15, 2020 12:54 AM NST
how different is the Charity Corner quick donation page from say...Shop Stock, to do a price checker tool on that or perhaps a quick stock page price checker?
combustibles, September 15, 2020 2:16 AM NST
And once again JumpStaff punishes their playerbase for a problem they themselves created.

Why is it always like this.
bekka513, September 15, 2020 3:47 AM NST
I don't see anything about a trophy. Wll there be 1 this year ?
itaxerxes, September 15, 2020 4:57 AM NST
Disgusting event. The old format that gave you items for items was great and I miss it very much. The perks were bad and glitchy but this new thing is just horrible. And TNT lied to us when they said they would never let us carry over points again. So I wasted thousands of points on glitchy perks that gave me nothing just to find out that I would have been able to get the samp and petpet with my old points. I just hope people are now canceliing their premium anf stop wasting money on NC. Everybody who financially supports a company that treats their customers like poop is stupid
pancaketime, September 15, 2020 5:54 AM NST
From the FAQ: "At the end of the event everyone who participated will receive a trophy recognizing their valiant efforts!" So yes, there are still trophies this year, at least.
catsrnice, September 15, 2020 6:47 AM NST
It's a risk but it literally was all I was logging on for and now I suppose I won't login at all.

I've been trying not to say this but I'm pretty sure the sites going to be dead after 2020.
niddyz, September 15, 2020 8:39 AM NST
@apophis324: I think the writer of her dialogue was attempting some sort of 'fun' affectation on that word. 'Dahling' was often something Zsa Zsa Gabor would add as an appellation, so whenever I see it written, I assume someone's going for that kind of sound. It's a little weird in Granny's mouth, for me--a bit stilted? But that's my guess.
sketch, September 15, 2020 8:44 AM NST
@itaxerxes The point conversion is trash! To have the 8000 points needed for the petpet and stamp you would have needed to still have 235 000 points last year, and if you did have that congrats that's impressive but with the massive cut of conversion you would just have lost almost all of it and were probs better of spending it on perks and that Perk me up to get the items or the wheel or something more profitable
stepupfairy, September 15, 2020 9:05 AM NST
Sorry, but I'm laughing my head off at the snowball hoarders too!
alli_draggy, September 15, 2020 9:10 AM NST
I'm discarding all my sticky snowballs. No sense in keeping them plus I kind of feel guilty for polluting Neopia with them.
bonju, September 15, 2020 9:44 AM NST
Um... 4000 points for a 1% chance at a r95-r99 item and a 85% chance of getting rubbish? I thought the odds of getting a good summon in Legend and Letters were bad but this is ridiculous. Why are they so inept.
I love neopets but JS honestly deserves to lose players because of their inability to actually listen to the playerbase. There are a LOT of issues JS haven't even acknowledged, their lack of communication is unnerving and can't believe they keep getting away with it. Again, it's not the fact that they do a certain feature or event wrong, it's the fact that they don't bother at ALL to change it or even acknowledge they did it wrong.
Sorry, rant over
ducky - JN Staff, September 15, 2020 11:07 AM NST
@bonju

Because if they made those high rarity items bigger change, resellers and such would scream at them.

Also I am sure the change they made perk vs items was also based on some sort of feedback. I mean, there was some good perks. Made quick 4m with petpet one, made someone RObot Draik with the colour it wild, did the food club ones and then the one site them I had and now it's going to waste

I am wondering more why they even bother Charity Corner anymore. I rather take GMC and DD any day.
bonju, September 15, 2020 11:09 AM NST
@ducky Yes but now everyone is screaming at them. Haven't seen a single person saying that the capsules with the current ratios are a good idea.
And yes, it would have been great to have one last DD before flash dies
xkid0, September 15, 2020 11:15 AM NST
I can't believe this...they totally let us down this year.
kabamomma, September 15, 2020 2:06 PM NST
Honestly, while I am rather displeased at the NP issues (The Sticky Snowballs, the lack of perks, the changes on the items to choose from... blah blah blah) I am in utter shock that so few people feel harshly about the NC portion of this. That hurts my heart far more than the NP stuff.
So, I have spent $25 REAL MONEY a month for almost a year on NC stuff. I decided on things that I got from caps that I didn't like or were duplicates, as well as stuff from NC events (like the Neggworks and such), and was so excited to do this part of the CC. Surely they'd have some truly gorgeous items, right?
I wanted a grand total of 2 of the items offered. Both wigs. So I spent MORE NC to donate the items I needed to in order to get to the number of "Badges of Freedom" I needed for these items...
First of all, you can't get a specific number (like 24, for example) of the donation boxes, so I ended up buying more of that than I needed. Then I found out - through donating (and perhaps I could have done more research, but I trusted that TNT would consider that someone spent real money on their website and take into consideration that investment) that it doesn't matter what you spent on the item, it is only worth 1 badge. So, I could donate a 50nc item and it was worth the same as a 500nc item... I'm just so very let down.
BTW, even if I only donated items worth 50NC (the least amount I have ever found for items in the NC Mall), no wig is worth the equivalent of 600NC (50NC x 12 "Badges" = 600NC). I wish I had better understood this - and that this was a more transparent - process.
lickinrusty, September 15, 2020 8:22 PM NST
This was my first CC and I'm kind of disappointed.
I was looking over the previous perks and was looking forward to them! They looked really cool even though I was realistically only afford 1 or 2 of them. Now I just have 3 wearables and a petpet
apophis324, September 16, 2020 11:48 AM NST
What I don't understand is why people assume that because something is a certain way one year, the next year it will be the same way. Why does the Charity Corner ALWAYS have to come with perks? Why not be happy with getting something for being so generous, no matter what it is?

Or better yet, donate and discard the stuff you don't need all year round, instead of hoarding it for the Charity Corner!