Complete the Altador Mini-Plot!
Weapon stats and Battledome challengers!
Every editorial question answered just a search away!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Charity Corner

Site Redesign Updates
  • Posted on September 2, 2020, 7:42 pm NST

A big update to the Neopets site redesign has gone live! You can read the full Release Notes, but here's an overview:

1) Premium Portal + Super Shop Wizard
The Premium Portal—a replacement for the Premium Toolbar on the old site—is here! It includes a list of all your Neopets, along with links to various Premium perks, like the species change, customisation journal, Space Faerie Scratchcards, and more.

In addition, the Super Shop Wizard is available on every page in the redesigned site, just like the Premium Toolbar used to offer:

You can activate the SSW by clicking the Shop Wizard icon in the top left of the page:

2) Site Themes
New redesigned site themes are also here! To start, Basic, Yellow, Red, Purple, Blue, Green, and Altadorian Constellations have been converted, with more to come. (The next theme slated for release is the Premium Space Faerie theme.)

Here's a preview of the new Constellations theme:

Also of special note, Neopets now has a new brand logo!

Basic Theme | Constellations Theme

What's Next?
TNT says the following items are coming next: inventories, Space Faerie site theme, world quick links, and dropdown navigation menus (finally!)

What do you think of this round of updates? What are you hoping TNT tackles next? Let us know in the comments!

dialasong, September 2, 2020 7:47 PM NST
my brain is SCREAMING with anguish that they changed the logo

no!!! no!!!!!

i know its irrational but. man
masterdeals, September 2, 2020 8:01 PM NST
@dave you're welcome.
marfbear, September 2, 2020 8:02 PM NST
I have this fear (irrational maybe), that when they convert our safety deposit boxes and closets, they will end up losing some of our items. I have over 8,000 unique items in my sdb (some are wearables) and nearly 2,000 in my closet - way too many to write down so I can keep track.
swordsforlegs, September 2, 2020 8:18 PM NST
@marfbarf - that's not how it works, changing the design of the site will not affect the databases
eravilan, September 2, 2020 8:34 PM NST
that logo is just wow. i wasn't a fan of the mobile site design, but i really dislike that logo
chocolatjellopudding, September 2, 2020 8:52 PM NST
I gotta say I really enjoy the constellation theme
problematicperiplum, September 2, 2020 8:56 PM NST
That logo... I know it barely changes, but gosh darn it; it doesn't feel the same.
xfer, September 2, 2020 9:05 PM NST
What are you guys talking about? Thew new logo rocks! Plus, who prefers yellow to blue?
dave - JN Staff, September 2, 2020 9:18 PM NST
The new logo appears to be a more rounded version of the old lettering. Slightly different, but slightly the same.

I'm hoping they end up with some more polished versions--the ones above are from the new site themes, so I'm assuming these may not be the final final versions.
silversteven, September 2, 2020 10:21 PM NST
I really like the new logo! I think it looks a little more modern and polished without losing that "Neopets" feeling.

I hope the footer for the Constellations theme is updated and that they figure out a way to incorporate the theme character images somewhere. Otherwise though, really loving the theme a lot. I also think all of the link icons look a little more polished than they did before.

I dunno. I'm just really happy with all of these changes? I can't wait for more content to be converted.
allanmennezess, September 2, 2020 11:14 PM NST
The Constellations theme is available to all users? Or only for those who already had it? TNT's intention was not very clear to me.

By the way, Jellyneo Staff, do you need help adapting the Advent Calendar animations or plot comics? I don't know how, but I would like to help you in some way.
ziporen, September 2, 2020 11:28 PM NST
^ Currently, all of the beta themes are available to all users, even if they haven't unlocked them yet. (Altador Constellations & Purple)

In the future, though, both will have their unlock requirements put back in place, and only users who have unlocked them will be able to use them.
apophis324, September 2, 2020 11:43 PM NST
Hmm. A pity. I personally think they missed an opportunity with the Constellations site theme. Sure, it "looks" nice, but it's a repeated design over the entire page. Put in a little extra effort and make something pretty.
Or... you know.. stop pretending you care about desktop users and just make the whole thing mobile only or something. And with thing I mean the website.
kreyrie, September 3, 2020 12:06 AM NST
Ew... Not a fan. I really hate what they're trying to do to the desktop version in general, as it's the only version I use. It's like the Windows 8 of site redesigns, so I suggest they panic release a 10 very soon. I just... no...
katina_choovanski, September 3, 2020 1:39 AM NST
LEAVE. IT. ALONE. They are totally disregarding the connection people ALREADY have with this site. They're not doing it for US. They're doing it for THEM. Just be honest about it already.
contessa, September 3, 2020 2:07 AM NST
Boy do I agree with katina_choovanski and kreyrie!

I dislike all of this new stuff, to bright and childish looking and the new logo is slightly blurry looking to me.
apophis324, September 3, 2020 2:44 AM NST
Now now, people, keep in mind that this is done for multiple reasons. Sure, it looks... not so great and it will take a lot of time getting used to, but it's also done out of necessity. With Flash disappearing and most people using phones and tablets to access the internet these days, they need to do something to cater to those. Also, the new logo fits the constellation theme, so maybe they're just keeping it for that?
That being said though, I still believe it would have been best for us had they decided to build this site version for mobile only and keep the layout of the website for the desktop version. Oldschool users that only access on desktop prefer that anyway.

It is what it is, it won't change. Even if we did an en masse outcry, they still wouldn't revert it. As everything in life, we'll just have to deal with it. Sad as that is.
apophis324, September 3, 2020 2:54 AM NST
By the way, am I the only one who has noticed that on the News Page they talk about the "mobile release"? They mention it twice even. To me that *sounds* like either of two things (though I *know* that is not what it means).
Either: Screw the people on Desktop, everything is mobile now and we focus on that. The Desktop version will be nothing but a portal to a mobile world.
Or: We leave the Desktop version as is, just Flashless, and do all these fancy changes for a mobile-only version.

Food for thought
pikachu315111, September 3, 2020 4:05 AM NST
Logo:
* Con: Would like the letters to look a bit more "sharper" at the edges. I get Neopets is a kids site first but doesn't hurt to add some "hardness" to the "softness", it adds visual flair.
* Pro: I do like the idea of them matching the logo's design with the site theme.
pikachu315111, September 3, 2020 4:16 AM NST
*Con: Oh, also the Stars should keep their fading effect & gold-y color. Just having them all solid yellow looks too plain.

"So... you just want the old design of the logo"

Pretty much. I don't mind them maybe embolding some of the letters (the "op" did always look a bit out of place as they were thicker than the other letters; and the "n" maybe had a bit little too much space between it), though the general design was meant to show Neopets was meant to show creativity (the letters had both a hand drawn but also a computer-generated text feel). The stars were just visual flair though, again, the effect given to them both showed some imagination vis using a computer-generated effect (the gold color even looking like a seal of approval, where most other kids site would keep things as bright & colorful as possible which would "overshadow" the basic black letters). TNT wanted each letter to have their own personality, showing the variety of Neopets there were, so having both "e"s being the same also looks off (at the very least slant one of them upwards a bit).
jawsch, September 3, 2020 4:19 AM NST
Yea, I'm very much team heffaklump when it comes to the logo font. When I heard they previewed new logos in the focus group, I was kind of surprised because I felt like the logo was fine as is.

I definitely think the basic logo looks blurry. I think it's because they tried to do a very thin white outline to separate the drop-shadow. I think they'd be better off doing a dark gray drop shadow instead with more transparency
gigiamore, September 3, 2020 5:50 AM NST
Don't mind the new logo but where are the constellations from the top bar of the desktop theme?! You know, the eyes, wheat, dagger, tambourine pictures? I love them, it actually reminds me of having to find them during the plot. It's the only theme I ever use
catsrnice, September 3, 2020 7:09 AM NST
New theme looks good. I mean I'll ignore the fact that flash is going away in 4 months and their update momentum is...

Anyway. Does the theme only unlock if you have the old theme or is it open for everyeone.
neocoladude, September 3, 2020 8:16 AM NST
This is cool and all, but the site is literally dead after this year if they don't start working on Flash stuff.
verdego, September 3, 2020 9:42 AM NST
I'm glad to see some progress on the conversion but man, it's already September and with flash death looming in the next three months, I wonder if they'll make the deadline to have a semi-presentable site. With no sign of most games, wearables, several maps, and many many many little odds and ends with fash assets, I wonder if the site will have any real major interactivity at launch.
starryfaerie, September 3, 2020 10:08 AM NST
Premium portal - Great! At least now we can access premium features in beta (esp the SSW).

Site themes - There can be some tweaks here and there but generally they look good.

New logo - I like how it is both different yet somewhat the same.

I really really really REALLY hope they fix Customisation next. It STILL doesn't load for me in Beta.
topaz644, September 3, 2020 10:49 AM NST
Is Stack Path up to it's tricks for any one else? I am being denied access to the site.
topaz644, September 3, 2020 10:50 AM NST
By site I mean Neopets of course. lol
roshchodesh, September 3, 2020 11:09 AM NST
contessa and pickachu and well, everyone

the letters are blurry. I fear if tnt missed that or could can less about it, what will the rest of the new stuff be like??

@Apophus - I saw you were pretty powerful on SG-1, can't you fix this stuff?
premium17, September 3, 2020 11:10 AM NST
Yes stackpath also has me locked out. Been almost 2 hours, emailed support but no answer yet
jomargem, September 3, 2020 11:35 AM NST
I've been locked out almost 3 hours at this point. No response from an email to support, or DM on Twitter. SO frustrating.
premium17, September 3, 2020 11:37 AM NST
Thank you for writing in.

Our developers are looking into the stackpath issue!

Rico S.
topaz644, September 3, 2020 11:42 AM NST
I closed my browser (FF) and it let me sign in again. For now.
vaporesque, September 3, 2020 11:49 AM NST
@gigi .. Same Even got the NC bg for only 4 of the constellations that take for ev er to animate.

@roshchodesh .. SG-1
thexc - JN Staff, September 3, 2020 12:12 PM NST
@topaz644 @premium17 Clearing your cookies/cache in your browser should fix it the next time it happens.
topaz644, September 3, 2020 12:15 PM NST
Access Denied...son of a gun. It's a pain to clear everything then reopen all my tabs again.

But I will do it. One. more.time.
gigiamore, September 3, 2020 12:30 PM NST
@vaporesque - There's a NC bg?!
fenix, September 3, 2020 12:39 PM NST
-x-x-
Except desktop is always going to be the superior way to access the Internet.
jessalynn, September 3, 2020 12:59 PM NST
Just got booted off from StackPath.
swevin, September 3, 2020 1:00 PM NST
Been getting this for 1,5 hours now. What is happening?

Access Denied
www.neopets.com is using a security service for protection against online attacks. An action has triggered the service and blocked your request.
Please try again in a few minutes. If the issue persist, please contact the site owner for further assistance.
1jediboy, September 3, 2020 3:30 PM NST
"An action has triggered the service and blocked your request."

This isn't individually serious, is it? We don't need to freak out that this implies that we did anything wrong, right?
premium17, September 3, 2020 3:33 PM NST
clearing cache and deleting the neopet cookie works for me but it keeps kicking me off after 30 minutes or so
topaz644, September 3, 2020 3:50 PM NST
@premium17- Same here. I've lost count of how many times I've had to start over from login. If it wasn't half price day I'd do something else. This is SOOOO annoying JS.
igmabryce, September 3, 2020 4:50 PM NST
I'm also blocked, but I really don't feel like dealing with this over and over again.....
xid, September 3, 2020 4:55 PM NST
I haven't been able to stay on the beta site for more than 5 minutes and I've tried a few times in order to get used to it. It's going to be hard.
I wish they treated this mobile version as the default and left the classic layout as an option in account preferences for those that use desktop. Getting rid of flash shouldn't have to mean such a drastic change for the entire site.
zinkro, September 4, 2020 6:02 AM NST
Blocked yesterday, still blocked now
jessalynn, September 4, 2020 6:42 AM NST
Same.
thexc - JN Staff, September 4, 2020 7:47 AM NST
@zinkro @jessalynn Clear all of your cookies and it should work
biediep, September 4, 2020 2:03 PM NST
Did they just remake the old Portal they took away forever ago, but only for mobile and not for the old site? I don't even know why they ever removed it, used to use it ALL the time :c
dave - JN Staff, September 4, 2020 8:46 PM NST
@biediep: The new Premium Portal is for desktop computers, too! At this point, the old site likely isn't going to get any new features.
rawrelai, September 4, 2020 11:17 PM NST
Just waiting on iOS to release!
jessalynn, September 5, 2020 7:17 AM NST
I've been hit with StackPath again!!!!
misterflipnote, September 5, 2020 7:42 AM NST
This is cool and all, but what about bringing the Neopia Central maps over to HTML5?
pikachu315111, September 5, 2020 10:12 AM NST
@ jessalynn:
I heard clearing your cookies/cache works. Annoying but until they fix it might be the only work around.

@ HTML5 Conversion:
Out of curiosity I checked to see if there was a Flash-to-HTML5 conversion tool... and discovered there was quite a few: https://mapsystemsindia.com/resources/flash-html5-tools.html

I hope JS is using one of these tools and isn't trying to rewrite everything from scratch (which I wouldn't blame them wanting to do but now's not the time when there's a deadline fast approaching).
apophis324, September 5, 2020 1:09 PM NST
There are also applications you can install on your PC with which you can play Flash games and watch Flash animations. Maybe TNT should release some older games to download so you can play them off-site. Would work well for the Game Graveyard.
zoa, September 5, 2020 2:57 PM NST
Okay, the stackpath thing is really irritating. Literally editing my lookup and now I can't access anything.
1jediboy, September 5, 2020 3:14 PM NST
Somebody please save the Game Graveyard!!! 😩
sunfl0wergrl, September 6, 2020 5:50 PM NST
excited to see what comes of this.
fantasygirl23, September 7, 2020 6:18 AM NST
Don´t like anything they are changing.
vaporesque, September 8, 2020 1:19 PM NST
@ gigi Yep, part of AC XIV. I put it on my lil_angel_baby3691, if you want more than JN's preview.
foxlover, September 8, 2020 8:30 PM NST
how do I change site theme on mobile? I already have it set to altador constellations but it isn't when I switch to mobile.
vaporesque, September 10, 2020 6:01 AM NST
@ foxlover .. Site preferences now has two themes to set "Theme" and "Beta Theme". Set it in regular mode, and it will be there when you switch to Beta.
lokaula, September 10, 2020 8:45 PM NST
Ummm...I'm a little confused about the changes. Is this just for the mobile, or desktop? And I can't help feeling like this whole mobile thing is leading to them phasing Neopets out of desktop altogether, and Neopets just becoming a wholly mobile game...ugh, I hope not!
dave - JN Staff, September 11, 2020 8:32 AM NST
@lokaula: This is a complete redesign of the Neopets website, just like we saw in 2007. At the end, the existing Neopets.com layout will go away and all devices--whether it's mobile or desktop--will see this layout. The new layout is being built for both mobile and desktop devices, so there's no reason you can't play on your laptop.