Try on all the latest Neopian fashions!
Weapon stats and Battledome challengers!
All the hottest looks, try them on today!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Charity Corner

Game Character Design Survey
  • Posted on August 27, 2020, 12:15 pm NST

In today's news, TNT have posted a survey based around Character Design. It appears to be gathering feedback on potential ideas for a new Bejewelled-style game (like Sutek's Tomb or the recently retired Ghoul Catchers).

Although there are other questions, the meat of the survey is giving your feedback on which style of Petpet you prefer:

herdy - JN Staff, August 27, 2020 12:17 PM NST
I prefered style 1 (although the Cyodrake is very much off model there) personally.

Though planning a new Bejewelled game so soon after abandoning and removing the last one is a very, very poor move.
fenix, August 27, 2020 12:26 PM NST
Like we need more mobile game garbage.
thepapercutjellyfish, August 27, 2020 12:39 PM NST
it's really cute but doesn't feel like Neopets at all
jessalynn, August 27, 2020 12:39 PM NST
Style 3 is the most appealing to me.
1jediboy, August 27, 2020 12:49 PM NST
I agree with Herdy. Style 1, Cyodrake off-model.
It does look less like the source petpets, but simplicity is adorable with these.
1jediboy, August 27, 2020 12:50 PM NST
Kind of like Pokemon Trozei!
jawsch, August 27, 2020 1:01 PM NST
Do. Not. Like. Or. Want
No one asked TNT to get rid of Ghoul Catchers just to reskin the d4mn game to look LESS like Neopets.

What is this company doing?
zixianna, August 27, 2020 1:03 PM NST
Those are petpets?
Maybe they'll just reskin Ghoul Catchers and re-release it as something new
nefarity, August 27, 2020 2:44 PM NST
I chose style 2, but whichever style I think the Cyodrake looks out of place. The others suit the cutesy look better. I was confused on what the yellow one was, didn't immediately scream 'Poppit' to me.

I don't see why they couldn't use the faerie bubbles in a match 3 game. Already got the different colours & it's the Neopian aesthetic.
doggetts_back, August 27, 2020 2:51 PM NST
Why is Neopets suddenly making all their games look like they're for 5 year olds? Did they forget that most of their players are adults? If I had to pick one, I'd go for style 2.
pikachu315111, August 27, 2020 2:53 PM NST
I chose Style 3 as I feel it has the best Cyodrake and Angelpuss.

Though not sure how I feel about them just making a rather direct Candy Crush clone, feels like a cash grab.
maxgarou, August 27, 2020 2:56 PM NST
I hate (SO SO SO MUCH) those types of match-three games.
I don't like the limited moves thing. I'm a lame strategist
If this is a mobile game, I don't understand why they bother creating more. They stop updating working on them and then they go to waste.
biediep, August 27, 2020 3:14 PM NST
/Headdesk

If they want to redo an old game, give us Key Quest back already!! We don't need more of this candycrush nonsense.
contessa, August 27, 2020 3:15 PM NST
Ick.

Do NOT LIKE THIS AT ALL. Do they think we are five years old?? This does not look like Neopets. I did the survey and said "I don't like this". Not that they are listening.

Oh yeah and another (stupid) mobile game. Something I won't be doing anyway.
purplebin, August 27, 2020 3:17 PM NST
At the end of the survey they reveal what petpets these are based off of. I hadn't really tried to figure it out, but I liked style #1 the best.
inkpot, August 27, 2020 3:21 PM NST
#2 is too stylized... the second line is anyway... the derpy greeble, bedroom-eyed angelpuss and cool-guy hasee just isn't for me.

and the angelpuss in general look so off in many of them because they don't have a muzzle like that. they're one pure flat color, they don't have a lighter muzzle. so to me it just looks like a generic cat with a halo.

i choose style #1.
starlightshimmering, August 27, 2020 4:58 PM NST
Why do they keep making games that no one asked for when we have been begging for key quest? Habitarium would be so amazing but no, instead they give us this
jcdiva7, August 27, 2020 5:03 PM NST
I like this game already and it has not even been released yet...I am just not feeling Island Builders yet
verdego, August 27, 2020 5:31 PM NST
Blech, so generic, so off-model. This is obviously being licensed to some outside design group to crank out an advertising cash-grab. I'm sure it will make some money, I guess if the money allows the site to function better (less downtime, fewer things lost in conversion, new content that is at least halfway decent) that's good enough for me.
topologist, August 27, 2020 5:48 PM NST
I prefer #3 because that actually *looks* like Neopets, so to me it is more logical as a Neopets-related game. Though if I didn't care for that association, I would prefer #1.
diegocanepa, August 27, 2020 5:56 PM NST
The style is extremely childish, I don't know what they want, but I think children are not actually paying their wages. How do you make a game that potentially take children's money and then sleep sound at nights?

Even if it's made by a 3rd-party company. It'll will die because GC's problem was not the art nor the style...
ziporen, August 27, 2020 6:17 PM NST
I didn't really recognize them as Petpets until I was rating the second set. The style is pretty generically cute. Also, they just axed Ghoul Catchers so is this really necessary...? I don't even want to try Island Builders because I don't expect it to live for long. :/

In terms of the designs themselves, I wish we could have picked a mix instead of being limited to sets.
-Darblat 1
-Cyodrake 2
-Poppit 3
-Greeble 2
-Angelpuss 3
-Hasee 1
Those ones are the closest to being on-model.
sketch, August 27, 2020 6:25 PM NST
"For the following match-3 puzzle game panel designs, please select 3 designs you best."
... I best what?? I like best I'm guessing?
swordsforlegs, August 27, 2020 7:03 PM NST
Just finish the mobile site already, no one wants another of these
_sissiy_sis_369, August 27, 2020 7:41 PM NST
These are VERY childish looking. That's probably the point but if its gonna be for kids then why have a survey?
catsrnice, August 27, 2020 9:09 PM NST
I didn't really like it because it's not very Neopetsy. The first cyodrake isn't even a cyodrake.
kaiwolf, August 27, 2020 10:30 PM NST
Agree with the general spirit of the others here. What is this even?? None of the designs looks anything like the rest of Neopets.

I'm only playing Island Builders in case there are on-site rewards at some point and I've missed out on all the other (now discontinued) branch-off games.
katina_choovanski, August 28, 2020 1:17 AM NST
2 off-site games down the drain after spilling a bunch of cash on one--am SO NOT playing that game. "Another cash grab" is right on. Still waiting to be able to customize again. FIX THAT TNT if you want something to do. FIX STUFF!! Then ppl. will spend on the site.
zoa, August 28, 2020 3:51 AM NST
I love these types of games, they're the only games I really like. I hate grind games. I chose 3.
anomally, August 28, 2020 4:38 AM NST
I don't mind the match 3 games, it's the limited number of moves I don't enjoy. Why not just let us have to do it in a certain time or something rather than a certain number of moves?

I think I like #2 best. It looks more like the petpets originally.
jawsch, August 28, 2020 4:44 AM NST
@ziporen //
I agree about picking from each set. I don't like all of them from any set.

I still think whatever they do the Hasee should be purple.
ryizen, August 28, 2020 4:50 AM NST
One more game for tnt to retire lol
mysticmirella, August 28, 2020 5:33 AM NST
I prefer style 2 but only like the Buzzard, Angelpuss and Hassee in any style. And I agree with a lot of you that they don't look very Neopets and do look childish.
rejecteddounut, August 28, 2020 5:54 AM NST
I took the survey and didn't even realize these were supposed to be petpets until the very end when they pointed it out.
neocoladude, August 28, 2020 6:42 AM NST
This isn't Neopets. This didn't work last time apparently. This isn't the time to be making something like this when nearly 1000 Flash games are going to be dead soonish. This is just bad business.
purslane, August 28, 2020 7:23 AM NST
Style 2 is by far the best. Each design has so much character. The other two designs are too stylized and sterile
masterdeals, August 28, 2020 8:46 AM NST
@dave new mutant clothes in the NC mall was added. The mutant suits were added for general sale.
giovannicharming, August 28, 2020 9:12 AM NST
I'm biased and like match 3 style games... That said, I wish the overall shapes of the pieces were more distinct? they feel too similar to each other in my opinion. I also feel like they should have a bit more colour distinction between the cyan and green(and maybe blue) because they feel just close enough to be confused for each other.
nekodanna, August 28, 2020 9:21 AM NST
i think they're really cute and i enjoy the styles, but i was never much into this type of game. i like 1 and 3 but i think i prefer 3 because the cyodrake actually looks like a cyodrake. im just not sure i understand why they keep making mobile games when none of them last...
missmoo33172, August 28, 2020 10:44 AM NST
I really hope they don't make a new game based off of this. Don't get me wrong, the art is very cute, but it's just NOT Neopets. They quite literally just removed Ghoul Catchers and this would be an awful move. They need to look at what their user base has been asking for for YEARS and not this type of micro-transaction game that doesn't even look like Neopets. I have strong feelings about this lol

I just want Keyquest and Habitarium back bro
nekodanna, August 28, 2020 11:17 AM NST
commenting again just to say, Keyquest and Habitarium is all i want too ;_; i miss them so much!
lazybutt, August 28, 2020 4:07 PM NST
I'm not even that nostalgic of a person, but Habitarium was legit a fantastic game and would work so well in the mobile environment. I mean, an idle game that you check in and collect random stuff/perform random tasks every few hours? Come on.
themeepit32, August 29, 2020 4:06 AM NST
it's kinda
nope
I'd rather have key quest and habitarium back
contessa, August 29, 2020 8:48 AM NST
Ohhh yes I would love to see Habitarium come back, I enjoyed that game so much!~
forgottenbirthdays, August 29, 2020 3:25 PM NST
too bad there was no way to tell them the darblat and the greeble look way too similar
dave - JN Staff, August 29, 2020 7:25 PM NST
Habitarium indeed felt like a mobile grinding game--I could see it being adapted well as a mobile app.

I get the sense that Jumpstart is attempting to expand the Neopets brand to people who do not already play Neopets in a web browser, though. So I'm not sure how well Habitarium would accomplish a goal like that.
apophis324, August 30, 2020 4:08 AM NST
Just imagine ten years from now we get another one of those anniversary events like last time, where we go past all the large events from Neopets history. I bet they can make another one of those gravestone foregrounds with all the mobile games they've made and let die (skipping Lutari Island), though we'd need a lot more gravestones.
foxlover, August 30, 2020 11:47 AM NST
I like 3 and I think this style of game will appeal to a much wider audience, to help the site grow, which is what we need. Growth = more money = more features (or should I say, RETURNING features) and more staff for better customer service. I hope this game is better than GC though. it was so hard to score in that game.
chesu - JN Staff, August 30, 2020 1:08 PM NST
Dude just draw them on-model.
premium17, August 30, 2020 5:55 PM NST
Maybe they should get an outside company to convert the hundreds of games that have yet to be converted. Playing games was the reason I first started playing and I feel we are going to lose 90% of the games. Tick tock the months are flying by and see very little progress on this conversion project.
stormmonarch, August 30, 2020 9:26 PM NST
@dave they can reskin Habitarium and make it Neopets instead of Petpetpet.

Regardless, I have been thinking if Jumpstart wants to popularize Neopets, a simple game like Pocket Camp will be good. Pocket Camp suits the aesthetics of Neopets, not to mention they can re-use Neohome items and clothing.
cat, August 31, 2020 12:34 AM NST
I prefer the cyodrake and darblat from style 2 and everything else from style 3. The Spoppy in 2 and 3 reminds me of Slime Rancher. They’ve just got that “oh, is that a chicken? For me?” look.
cat, August 31, 2020 12:38 AM NST
I’d try a match 3 game, but aside from Pokemon Shuffle and the match 3 minigame in Castle Cats I don’t really like any of them.
targoefista, August 31, 2020 6:52 AM NST
I didn't even realize the pink thing was supposed to be an Angelpuss. So bad. That and the cyodrake. If they could just fix those two they would be a lot better.
vaporesque, August 31, 2020 3:49 PM NST
@zoa Yeah, I like these type of games on phones, too. ^_^ Easy for queue time passage, and stoppable whenever. Grind games can easily end up feeling less like fun and more like an obligation

My vote is for MORE sass than style 2