Try on all the latest Neopian fashions!
A searchable database of Neopets images
Earn NP from playing games!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Charity Corner

Legends and Letters and Ghoul Catchers Removal
  • Posted on July 15, 2020, 1:05 pm NST

UPDATE, JULY 20TH: Don't forget! You must download the apps below by Wednesday, July 22nd in order to retain access to playing them through December 31st! If you don't have the games by July 22nd, then you will no longer be able to play.

As was previously announced, both Legends and Letters and Ghoul Catchers will soon be removed from app stores and effectively retired. Today, the Neopets team have sent out an email that details when this will be happening.

Legends and Letters and Ghoul Catchers will be actively removed from app stores on July 22, 2020 (a week today). Both games will still be playable in the short term if you already have them on your devices, but will stop being playable on December 31, 2020. At this point the servers will be turned off and you will no longer be able to use the apps. Although Challenge of Challenges in Legends and Letters will still be running in game until then, the monthly Crossover Challenge (the one that awards Neopets.com items) will not.

The email says that in the future an exclusive item will be sent to players on their Neopets.com account for both Ghoul Catchers and Legends and Letters.

Note that this means the Legends and Letters items are now effectively retired—but the Ghoul Catchers items will continue to be available to earn until the end of this year.

The Legends and Letters FAQ:

Q: Can I still play the game?
A: If you still have the app on your device after July 22, you'll be able to continue playing through game levels and earning in-game rewards until the end of the year.

Q: Will there still be monthly events?
A: Legends & Letters will no longer be holding monthly events for the Crossover Challenge, and you will no longer be able to receive rewards from the game on Neopets.com. However, the weekly events in-game will still be running.

Q: Will I still be able to make in-app purchases?
A: On July 22, all in-game purchases will be obtainable for free, allowing you to progress through the game freely.

Q: Can I still get technical support for the game?
A: Support for Legends & Letters will end on July 22. After that date, bug fixes and technical support will no longer be provided for the game.

Q: How long will the game be playable?
A: On December 31, 2020, Legends & Letters will be shutting down permanently and you will no longer be able to play.

From Legends & Letters is Shutting Down email, July 15, 2020

And the Ghoul Catchers FAQ:

Q: Can I still play the game?
A: If you still have the app on your device after July 22, you'll be able to continue playing through game levels and earning rewards until the end of the year.

Q: Can I still earn site rewards?
A: You'll be able to continue earning site rewards on Neopets.com from playing Ghoul Catchers until December 31, 2020.

Q: Can I still get technical support for the game?
A: Support for Ghoul Catchers will end on July 22. After that date, bug fixes and technical support will no longer be provided for the game.

Q: How long will the game be playable?
A: On December 31, 2020, Ghoul Catchers will be shutting down permanently and you will no longer be able to play.

From Ghoul Catchers is Shutting Down email, July 15, 2020

We'd recommend downloading both games if you have not already done so and wish to have a chance at experiencing them. And as always, here are our guides to help you with your gameplay:

terrih, July 15, 2020 1:57 PM NST
I'm going to miss the daily 50k from Ghoul Catchers . It's a shame they didn't carry on with the game, it's actually not too bad. As for L&L they need to make the prizes tradeable. I have a few items that could make me a bit of np but are otherwise just taking up room in my SDB.
doggetts_back, July 15, 2020 2:27 PM NST
So if you don't get the stamp in L&L by then, it will be impossible to obtain.
heather, July 15, 2020 2:35 PM NST
uGHHHHHH TNT, please keep L&L crossovers around until the end of the year
herdy - JN Staff, July 15, 2020 2:40 PM NST
@doggetts_back: There will not be any further Crossover Challenges, so that's the case right now. We've got all the prizes we're getting from L&L.
bonju, July 15, 2020 2:48 PM NST
Honestly what bothers me the most isn't the fact that the prizes are still non-tradeable, but TNT's attitude? Like stop ignoring the elephant in the room and address the issue, not a single user (and customer) is happy about the item prizes and no staff is saying anything about it.
pikachu315111, July 15, 2020 3:39 PM NST
@bonju:
Actually I would say the Elephante in the room is them just dropping support for both suddenly and little fanfare. Other companies would maybe have done a last major update & event as both a big sendoff and thank you to the players.

BUT NOPE! Just ending it. Because reasons. Reasons they don't elaborate upon because my guess there's no major reason for them to do this aside wanting to push the new app Neopets: Island Builders.

But then, what happens if they make another app game? Are they also going to take down Island Builders to shift players focus on that? They've created no trust that Island Builders will stay around or receive support after JS loses interest in it and decide upon another app game.
dave - JN Staff, July 15, 2020 3:52 PM NST
Legends & Letters (and Ghoul Catchers) didn't seem to really perform well as standalone games. There were a few articles over the past few months with the Jumpstart CEO mentioning these these games were not "well received," so my speculation is that they're being pulled because they're finally costing more to run than they're making, either $$$-wise or by way of drawing more players into the Neopets.com site.

I also get the impression that Island Builders is being set up to be a way to get *new* players into the Neopets universe, so it sticking around I think will depend a bit on that.
dr_tomoe, July 15, 2020 4:19 PM NST
Figures, I just got the game because I just got a phone capable of running it, and now find out "lol, sorry, no more crossover events for you!"
scarlet189, July 15, 2020 4:28 PM NST
Well, hopefully I can at least level up in the games and get something out of this now that they have eliminated the challenge for L&L! This is definitely money (and end of contract for the games since they were pulled I imagine) based given off of past experience of other stuff happening.
Items absolutely need to be made tradeable or at the very least, certain ones released (especially stamps) into neopet shops. Or used as prizes in contests on the site (like one of the books for a BTY competition).
dave - JN Staff, July 15, 2020 4:33 PM NST
@scarlet189: Just to be clear, the last Crossover Week challenge in Legends and Letters finished on July 5th. There won't be any more Crossover Weeks, so there will not be a way to get anything for your Neopets.com account as of today.
scarlet189, July 15, 2020 4:51 PM NST
@dave, i know that, but at least i can work on getting more of the story finished and a few regular achievements i haven't done yet. And i meant to say crossover, anger=wrong word typed.
1jediboy, July 15, 2020 5:12 PM NST
If they don't come up with solid endings to these games, I will GLEEFULLY collaborate with anyone who would like to make an ending themselves. I actually have some good story ideas and what could've been the L&L plot twist! Anyone here a good illustrator?
seven_dead_owls, July 15, 2020 7:07 PM NST
I hope they'll make the album items for both obtainable some how on site. I'd be okay with them going in the Hidden Tower and still non-trade for the L&L stamp like the books for the avatars. To have a whole album for mobile that most people will never complete because of the non-trade and games disappearing is just dumb.
targoefista, July 16, 2020 1:38 AM NST
Oh thank god I managed to get the stamp during the last crossover. I feel bad that not everyone was able to get it. It's a but unfair since, unlike Ghoul Catchers where everyone knew what they were getting, you could have played the game faithfully and never received the stamp.
shakespeareofborg, July 16, 2020 3:35 AM NST
I'm really sad about losing L&L. I've not spent any money on it but have made an effort into leveling up my team and feel quite attached to them (just like my onsite Neopets).
dave - JN Staff, July 16, 2020 9:26 AM NST
@scarlet189: Ah good! Just wanted to make sure since the game is a bit of effort, but it's not worth it if your only goal is Neopets.com prizes.
biediep, July 16, 2020 11:04 AM NST
If you're going to make the in-app purchases free, LET US DUTCHIES DOWNLOAD THE GAME THEN!
I want my darn Stamp!
liesoeoe, July 16, 2020 1:28 PM NST
@ Biediep:

YESSS! Another Dutchie here. I'd love to get those non-trade wearables!
alex, July 16, 2020 11:04 PM NST
They have zero credibility. Today was the 20th anniversary of my joining neopets.com and I couldn't spend it with my two neopets that were born on July 16th, 2000, because neopets froze my accounts four years ago. I tried to get my accounts back because I didn't do what they said I did. They didn't listen to anything I said and it took a while even to get them to tell me what they thought I did. I just don't understand.
catsrnice, July 17, 2020 7:27 AM NST
Brilliant. If they take these games down on Dec 31 2020 that'll mean they're in synch with every other neo game dying too. Perfect planning on their part.
ziporen, July 17, 2020 12:30 PM NST
I have no faith in them keeping the new app up for long with the way they're just dumping everything. :/ L&L especially, because it isn't even a year old... GC I don't mind as much because it has had a decent run.
gigiamore, July 18, 2020 11:15 AM NST
I would have spent more money on Ghoul Catchers if they actually updated it and put in more levels :/

Annoyed about L&L, especially the stamp. It would be great if they made it tradeable AND gave it as a reward for having played L&L D:
moonlightwitch, July 18, 2020 12:27 PM NST
I'll never get that stamp
macosten - JN Staff, July 21, 2020 10:57 AM NST
Today's the last full day we'll have these apps available :O
apophis324, July 22, 2020 12:16 AM NST
They said they'll be sending Ghoul Catchers and Legends and Letters themed items to your inbox.. I wonder if you need to have played both games in order to obtain them. I've played Ghoul Catchers for a bit years ago but haven't touched it since and Legends and Letters was never available for me to play...

They should at least release that stamp to the public..
itaxerxes, July 22, 2020 2:36 AM NST
and the in appp offers are valid for more than 25 hours. they even try to trick people into wasting real money on this today
infernodragon02, July 22, 2020 9:04 AM NST
Still nothing about the prizes, as TNT are tone-deaf.
send_dis_pear, July 22, 2020 12:10 PM NST
Is it possible for someone to backup the apk files of both apps for android, so if they happen to lose one of the apps, they could just redownload the app from where they backed it up?
seven_dead_owls, July 22, 2020 6:09 PM NST
Has anyone played today? It said all the in-app purchases would be free so we could progress faster. Just wondering how that works and how many of each thing you can get? Of course it went down today after getting my login bonus and now it's stuck on the home screen and won't let me back in even with force stopping the app over and over.
shakespeareofborg, July 23, 2020 4:21 AM NST
So far it seems that anything you had to buy with coins or diamonds is free but anything that you had to pay with real money is still asking for it.
diamondjirachi, July 23, 2020 7:24 AM NST
Diamonds and offers are no longer there, meaning everything should be free now
neotamer448, July 23, 2020 7:54 AM NST
I'm guessing they're not going to be so kind for the ghoul catchers and make all of that free?
anata_, July 27, 2020 7:55 AM NST
@seven_dead_owls - Yesterday I had a very sad time playing
Got my long desired Garin and Scarblade after 20 free ultimate tokens, but it wasn't half as fun as if I had the challenge to get them. I guess the fun of playing L&L is officially dead to me right now... but there were also some people going crazy on the monster of the week's leader board on the last few hours.