Neopia's Award Ceremony for your top picks of the year!
Create your own wishlists!
Discover the characters of Neopia in our Book of Ages!
Help us model your pets!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Neopies

Altador Cup Prize Shops
  • Posted on July 3, 2020, 10:27 am NST

The Altador Cup winners have now been announced! In a surprise turn of events, Kiko Lake have taken the title!

This means that both the regular Altador Cup Prize Shop and the Staff Tournament Prize Shop are both open!

Binary Supagoo has posted an update on the changes to scoring that allowed Kiko Lake to win:

Well Hello,

As you can see, we decided to update Final scoring on your input:
* Round Robin is used for placement into brackets only
* Overall winners from Final Round will maintain order of Pro, Mid, Low
* Final score is based on tally of wins vs losses in each game type vs other team each day. Ties of 2 win 2 loss broken by internal decimal sum of games performance.

- Binary Supagoo

shakespeareofborg, July 3, 2020 10:32 AM NST
Does this mean they'll finally stop collecting donations from us in the random event?!
_sissiy_sis_369, July 3, 2020 11:38 AM NST
Seems they may be a trophy glitch. My team was TM and it shows on my look up that we won 1st place
sinavarice, July 3, 2020 12:12 PM NST
I just realized... I've been reading "Supagoo" as "Sugapoo" for years....
apophis324, July 3, 2020 12:51 PM NST
What? Kiki Lake won?! That... was certainly unexpected. I still believe these things are predetermined anyway, but.. eh. MARAQUA!! WOO!
jorgesgirlforlife, July 3, 2020 12:52 PM NST
I just realized... I've been reading "Supagoo" as "Sugapoo" for years....
Omg same...
nefarity, July 3, 2020 1:00 PM NST
Me too, sinavarice

A lot of wearables in both shops this year.
bonju, July 3, 2020 2:26 PM NST
Omg it's not Sugapoo?
What is this Mandela effect
dr_tomoe, July 3, 2020 3:50 PM NST
Meridell was robbed.
jessalynn, July 3, 2020 3:56 PM NST
I think KL is starting to become like the Neopets version of the Pats. Just saying.
ladyamethyst, July 3, 2020 6:39 PM NST
I'm guilty of reading Sugapoo as well!
jesse101_9_9, July 3, 2020 7:30 PM NST
oops I was a idiot and forgot to play this year after I picked my team so no trophy for me haha
rosi, July 3, 2020 7:32 PM NST
Herdy, you put it well : "that allowed Kiko Lake to win"

Yep this thing is definitely predetermined, in that only the same bunch of teams is *allowed* to win
jcdiva7, July 3, 2020 8:02 PM NST
Screw Kiko Lake...Meridell was totally robbed and that iritates me and I am Shenkuu player
ctp02, July 3, 2020 8:33 PM NST
I like it the change, It's more concrete
But not knowing the difference between Maraqua and Terror Mountain in points (both has 2 point) it's killing me
neonym, July 3, 2020 8:44 PM NST
Is anyone else unable to view the Main Altador Cup Prize Shop?
I can only see the Staff Tournament Prize Shop currently.
Going to http://www.neopets.com/altador/colosseum/2020/prizes.phtml just redirects me to the Podium Standings.
combustibles, July 4, 2020 4:19 AM NST
Absolute insanity.

DC fluctuated hard in the rankings and suddenly KL comes in from nowhere and beats MD and BV?!

No justice at all.
dtolsen, July 4, 2020 9:21 AM NST
Not impressed with the prizes this year. Glad I stopped when I got to all star.
anomally, July 4, 2020 11:50 AM NST
I do nothing and Meridell gets 2nd place.

Maybe I should do nothing next year too so they get 1st.
lalaiscool600, July 5, 2020 7:34 AM NST
i cant get to prize shop just takes to collusem also didnt get my particapaction medal
bob_smith, July 5, 2020 2:59 PM NST
Kiko Lake cheated or TNT already chose them. What a sham. Kiko Lake is literally the worst team how are they always so good.
artemisaltori, July 5, 2020 9:00 PM NST
this is why i don't bother with AC anymore going forward. glad i didn't waste my time this year lol
lokaula, July 6, 2020 5:48 PM NST
Sad that KL won, if it was "predetermined" that way.
And it seems like those pesky Meepits are at work again...neither shop is loading for me!
jdb1984, July 6, 2020 8:39 PM NST
So a normally bad team has one good year, and beats the favorite to win, and that's enough to say the cup is "rigged".

Do you have any solid evidence that the cup is rigged? Anything at all?
pikachu315111, July 7, 2020 4:39 AM NST
There was no "rigging", Kiko Lake under the current system won fair & square after TNT decided to lock the brackets for finals (something which should have happened already by now *remembers AC where Maraqua stole 3rd from Meridell even though it was in the middle final's bracket* ).

"But how did small team Kiko Lake beat Meridell that had SOTAC?". My guess is that they played really hard and the formula to assure balance between all teams thus leaned in their favor. Meridell may very well had more players who also played their hardest, but Meridell is likely to have just as many who didn't compared to Kiko Lake who probably had most of their players playing hard. That's the pro and con to the system we have, it gives a fair shake to smaller teams but can punish bigger teams if not all their players are on board to play hours upon hours.

While I'm not sure if they need to redo the scoring system, what I do think they need to do is add a "Doing Your Part" bar. While we'll still have the max games that can be played, the "Doing Your Part" bars will have more reachable goals. Upon completing it you (and your team) get a slew of points added) thus you did your part and any extra games you play stills adds to your rank & team's score but only a little bit. That ways players who don't want to play hours but still want to notably contribute to their team has a goal they can focus to playing up to. I&#3
pikachu315111, July 7, 2020 4:40 AM NST
I'm thinking maybe 10 games of Yooyuball, 25 Slushie Slinger, 50 Make Some Noise, and 100 Shootout Showdown.
bodhi, July 7, 2020 12:56 PM NST
Once again no luck for my beloved Shenkuu. But there's always 2021!
I got to level 5 and bought one of each of the team gym bags, which I'm happy enough about.
jesse101_9_9, July 7, 2020 3:39 PM NST
I understand where people are coming from saying it's rigged or pre determined. Since it does look sketchy. especially When a mediocre team comes out of no where (that two years Faerieland did amazing). But to play devils advocate it doesn't explain why teams like Altador, Moltara, etc. who constantly are doing sub par and occasionally do well and make a new personal best. There I think does need to me somewhat of a visual or better way to make it look like what we do is actually doing something. I do like the idea someone said above about the 'do your part bar" so they can be more creative since idk about any of you all but I get really tired of playing the same games over and over again. hence why I never make it to All Star or even close. The best I have ever done is rank 5 in my almost eleven years on the site. I didn't even end up playing this year after I chose my team partially because I was just pushing it back since I only cared about the participation medal (Which I failed at that) since I forgot to play any games this year because it just gets so monotonous and boring even after a few games.