Take a tour of the entire planet of Neopia.
Help us model your pets!
Learn the meaning to all Neopian words, phrases and acronyms!

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Charity Corner

Beta Site Redesign Updates
  • Posted on July 2, 2020, 5:47 pm NST

A new batch of updates for the Neopets.com site redesign have gone live today! You can check out the Release Notes for a full rundown, but here are the highlights:

(1) The Mystery Island map has received a substantial art upgrade:

(2) All of the various world-themed colouring pages have been redesigned and brought into the beta site.

(3) The Giant Jelly, Faerie Caverns, Lever of Doom, and Scurvy Island have been brought into the beta site.

(4) Bookmarks have been re-worked and fixed to better allow you to add any beta page to the list.

After this, TNT has stated that Premium features will be coming over to the beta site, along with some new site themes (we previewed some of these site themes back in April). Navigation dropdown menus are also coming.

Stay tuned for more updates—we'll post any substantial updates being made!

dave - JN Staff, July 2, 2020 5:49 PM NST
Oddly, it's kind of nice to see them giving some thought and care to the colouring pages. I feel like that indicates that for the most part, they plan on reworking a bunch of old content. (Colouring pages were something I could have seen them dropping!)
tom_433, July 2, 2020 6:52 PM NST
Um, what's Scurvy Island? Genuine question.
sabriogando, July 2, 2020 7:51 PM NST
It looks so small ;-;

but im glad they are working on the site!
o_ya_toe_knee_is_gr8, July 2, 2020 8:32 PM NST
Scurvy Island is the Keep Out island, north of the main Krawk Island map. It's been there since the Krawk Island Disappearance event back in 2011 when KI got its Flash revamp. Release Notes for beta says they won't tell us what it's for but wanted to make sure we stayed away, even on our phone! I still don't see how to get to Secret Ninja Training School from the beta map.
o_ya_toe_knee_is_gr8, July 2, 2020 8:37 PM NST
Okay, never mind. I figured it out. You just click the steps, from the foot, up to the half way point of Techo Mountain. When it veers to the right, clicking the stairs is part of the volcano instead.
zixianna, July 2, 2020 10:06 PM NST
T-minus Six Months
starryfaerie, July 2, 2020 10:33 PM NST
Oh I love the new map!! Looks so much better than the previous version! I'm glad they updated it with much better art!!
starryfaerie, July 2, 2020 10:33 PM NST
Also, Dave, I agree about the colouring pages! Nice to see some classic parts of the site won't be left behind / forgotten!
1jediboy, July 3, 2020 2:06 AM NST
Oh, thank goodness! That's so much better! I still prefer the prior "pre-update" art, but this, I could get used to.

*clicks cooking pot out of curiosity* *GASP* Cooking Pot upgrade!

*looks at list of colouring pages* A-HA!!!!! JELLY WORLD!!!!! I TOLD YOU IT WAS REAL!!!!!
apophis324, July 3, 2020 2:51 AM NST
Wow.. That's a serious overhaul. I wonder if that was the plan all along, or that they were surprised by the backlash the inbetween version received...
mortychichi, July 3, 2020 3:06 AM NST
It still looks ugly, maybe they should just stop trying and scrap this
swordsforlegs, July 3, 2020 4:17 AM NST
It's the font on the signs that really does it in, change that and it'll look MUCH better
6161314, July 3, 2020 4:17 AM NST
still ugly +1
can't they just turn the existing art flash-free?
zeelink, July 3, 2020 5:55 AM NST
I like this map. Shame they changed the angle, but if that's what their going with this isn't a bad design at all.
chocolatjellopudding, July 3, 2020 7:45 AM NST
Better but still not great. It's a step up though. It needs more greenery and foliage
chocolatjellopudding, July 3, 2020 7:47 AM NST
@swordsforlegs ah yes, font change would vastly improve it as well
catsrnice, July 3, 2020 9:16 AM NST
I'm a bit confused as to the bookmark functionality when browsers already have a bookmark functionality.
princess_zelda_, July 3, 2020 1:37 PM NST
Quelle surprise! I am shocked. This actually looks pretty decent
clock_flower, July 3, 2020 5:13 PM NST
@tom_433 I think Scurvy Island is possibly the island next to Krawk Island, which usually says "Keep Out!", but I could be wrong.
joe, July 3, 2020 5:38 PM NST
Its weird to me that the login page is not done or even on the radar..
clock_flower, July 3, 2020 5:53 PM NST
It seems like what they are doing as far as the map goes is shifting to more of a front-facing view instead of an overhead one with the goal of increasing player immersion. If the player is looking from a top-down perspective, it doesn't really feel like you're "there", y'know? Contrast that with current Faerieland, where it looks like the player is actually "there" instead of getting a bird's-eye view and feeling a disconnect. Even Geraptiku is at least slightly more forward facing than Mystery Island was (so they look more similar now than they did before). The fact that it's animated is also kinda neat, and it seems like the sky actually follows realtime (NST), and you can drag the map from side to side to see more of it (probably all in the name of immersion). I do agree about the font, though. On the whole it seems they didn't change ''too'' much, which is nice. Also the carving on Techo Min/Techo Mountain actually looks more like a Techo now (I thought it was a Nimmo for years). Honestly I'd ultimately be happy with either this one or the old one