Altador Cup VII
Take a tour of the entire planet of Neopia.
Complete the Altador Mini-Plot!
A searchable database of Neopets images

Pick your news: Neopets News Jellyneo's Twitter | Crossword | JN Updates | Daily Puzzle | Altador Cup XV

Neopets Coming (Back) to TV
  • Posted on February 10, 2020, 1:04 pm NST

Jumpstart has just announced today a partnership with production company Beach House Pictures. The partnership involves creating an animated series based on Neopets characters and lore.

The plan is to produce video content that is aimed at 8 to 12 year olds, but is unknown whether it will be a traditional series of episodes or rather 1-2 minute shorts like we've seen in the past from Viacom.

You can read more about the announcement at KidScreen.com.

neolikepets, February 10, 2020 1:13 PM NST
For good or bad, this I have to see for myself.
themeepit32, February 10, 2020 1:25 PM NST
I'd love for some of the plots to be told, ever most are so dark, and wouldn't fly well with 8-12 yr olds
mavegibson, February 10, 2020 1:37 PM NST
Wow, I really NEED this to be a proper series of 20-30 minute episodes.
ctp02, February 10, 2020 1:39 PM NST
When you said "1-2 minute shorts from Viacom", you mean the Faction's animation of Battleground Of The Obelisk?
dustin, February 10, 2020 1:41 PM NST
I don’t expect much. They don’t seem to have a too great of a portfolio.
chocolatjellopudding, February 10, 2020 1:49 PM NST
I really don't think this is going to go well
gabistar, February 10, 2020 1:50 PM NST
I think it's going to be a normal animated series, I just don't think it should be 30 minutes long, but 15 or 20 minutes
sinavarice, February 10, 2020 1:59 PM NST
Sigh idk what to expect but just give me something good with Sloth and I'll be happy and move on... why it only has to be aimed at children I'll never know, I'm 30 and still playing...
ummy - JN Staff, February 10, 2020 2:14 PM NST
---
Nickelodeon ran some very short TV commercials of Neopets which were in the vein of simple advent calendar animations.
remy, February 10, 2020 2:24 PM NST
Good for JumpStart, it sounds like a good gig. My biggest gripe has always been them not embracing change until they have absolutely have to and staying in their ways while the internet landscape left them behind over the last decade, I think any move like this should be encouraged.
Props to the team for branching out and attempting something different.
faellie_ridiculous, February 10, 2020 2:31 PM NST
I see it as a positive, if they are willing to put some money behind Neo to promote it to a new audience. Kids TV shows are essentially a commercial designed to make kids want to buy merch. Sneaky.
dave - JN Staff, February 10, 2020 2:46 PM NST
@faellie_ridiculous: That was my hot take... although the 8-12 year old target is less than desirable for probably most of us, it's a possible ploy to get the Neopets brand in front of a younger audience again to build up a pipeline of users who are growing up with it.
asphoxia, February 10, 2020 3:15 PM NST
I'd be interested in seeing plots made into TV episodes, especially with flash going away. That being said, my favorite plots are probably a bit too dark for 8-year olds, even if 12-year olds could probably handle them.
anomally, February 10, 2020 3:29 PM NST
Hmm...

I don't want them to push themselves too hard and with too much money. I'd be fine if they start with 1-2 minute things and then see if they can go from there.
foxycleopatra, February 10, 2020 4:15 PM NST
I'm interested in the upcoming series and I hope to see some of the characters we already know as well as new ones.

As long as the transition to html is successful, I see no reason why Neopets shouldn't attempt to branch out.
1jediboy, February 10, 2020 4:15 PM NST
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I CALLED IT!!!!!!!!!!
I CALLED IT!!!!!!!!!!
I CALLED IT!!!!!!!!!!
I CAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLED IT!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHBNHHHJHHHHHH

*head explodes*
mzlish, February 10, 2020 4:23 PM NST
I hope if they DO do the 1-2 minute episodes, show them on , rather than TV... kids don't really watch cable anymore?? At least mine doesn't.. lol. Or at least have them available online if they are gonna have them on cable. I am definitely behind the idea, though. I am impressed that JS is taking more leaps than Viacom ever cared to.
mzlish, February 10, 2020 4:25 PM NST
Didn't realize that site would be blocked, LOL. I thought it would.. I meant:

"I hope if they DO do the 1-2 minute episodes, show them on (that really popular video site) rather than TV... "
1jediboy, February 10, 2020 4:28 PM NST
*pants heavily after a MASSIVE outburst*

"Are you interested in the upcoming series? What stories would you like to be told about Neopia? Let us know in the comments!"

OH MY GLOB! I HAVE BEEN PACING AROUND MY HOUSE FANTASIZING THIS ALL MY LIFE!!!!!

*deep breath* *exhales*

Ideas:

1. Slice of life: REAL neopians get to tell their stories in a 30-minute format which intersects into main-lore as well as other user episode lore.

2. LORE MOVIES!!!!!: Every 1 year, a full-on animated film is done reflecting one of the past neopian plots! (E.G. The Faerie's Ruin, Tale of Woe, etc.)

3. Existing character development: Existing lore characters are fleshed out with these episodes. For instance: What was Hanso's and Brynn's lives like a couple of years after TFR? Where did Roxton Colchester grow up? What was the royal family of Princess Amira?

4. Snippets: Not really lore-juicy, but fun nonetheless. three to five minute shorts showcasing the average neopian day/neopian wildlife!

5. NEW MOVIES!!!!!: WE COULD FINALLY GET "THE LOST TOMB" MOVIE BY JOHN A. DAVIS!!!!!

OH MY GLOB I CAN'T DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1jediboy, February 10, 2020 4:28 PM NST
I'VE WANTED THIS ALL MY LIFE!!!!!!!!! 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 I NEED TO GET ON THE WRITING TEAM!!!! I'LL DO ANYTHING!!!
josie, February 10, 2020 5:04 PM NST
Are you interested in the upcoming series?

Absolutely! I'm looking forward to it, and hopefully it will also come to a place like .

~~~~~~~

What stories would you like to be told about Neopia?

Anything is fine with me.
josie, February 10, 2020 5:05 PM NST
Place like that famous video site. I guess the filters didn't like me mentioning it by name
winterland, February 10, 2020 5:10 PM NST
I needed to check if it wasnt april fools, amazing! actually is a pretty good idea to made it for kids, since it will made neopets have players for the following years.
neocoladude, February 10, 2020 5:49 PM NST
Well...at the very least, this gives JS an ACTUAL reason to not have the site be anything above a PG level in content. Regardless... should be interesting.
1jediboy, February 10, 2020 5:49 PM NST
@josie & mzlish- Do you mean β€œPetflix” or β€œYooyuTube”? πŸ˜‰
tyuio_k50, February 10, 2020 5:58 PM NST
im screaming
parody_ham, February 10, 2020 6:19 PM NST
I'm somewhere between really, really excited and nervous. Nerve-cited? Yes. I am.
scarlet189, February 10, 2020 6:21 PM NST
Wow, this is not what I expected! Content level wise, you'd be surprised what 8-12 yr old demographics have in them, i think if it is pitched right and gets enough sponsorship, it could work. Because this is possibly a first full length, I think shorts would work first to introduce characters and the show before doing more. I estimate this will be anywhere from 30 sec clips to 5 minutes.
tyuio_k50, February 10, 2020 6:22 PM NST
On a better note, shows like Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, and Adventure time arguably had the same 8-12 demographic in mind, but proved to be something people of many ages enjoyed. A bit lower on the age-scale would be cartoons like Gumball or the earlier Spongebob seasons, which still appeal to a degree despite the age gap here.

Contrast this with early education shows typically aimed at children 6 or younger, like Dora.

That's to say, I'm not very worried about the intended audience. I'm more worried over the budget the show might have and its quality, paired with JumpStart's remarkable ability to forget/skew crucial pieces of lore.

For me, adding anything to the series/lore would be a bonus. I wouldn't care if it was nonsense - just as long as it damages neither.
9feels, February 10, 2020 6:24 PM NST
I am SO excited for this!!! I just wonder what the story will be - they have a LOT of lore to choose from. Or maybe they'll write new stories!!
terrih, February 10, 2020 6:36 PM NST
My immediate thought was "I wish you'd put as much energy into fixing your ed website first." To me this seem like nothing more than an extended cash grab on the part of Jumpstart - reel in a new crop of 8-12 year olds, pump $$ into your merch and watch the revenue flow in. Forget your established audience; you already have their money/attention so no need to cater to them anymore. I am incredibly disheartened by where their priorities lay.
1jediboy, February 10, 2020 6:56 PM NST
"On a better note, shows like Gravity Falls, Steven Universe, and Adventure time arguably had the same 8-12 demographic in mind, but proved to be something people of many ages enjoyed."

@tyuio_k50 - These shows are not only enjoyed by older audiences but they have cult-followings! They are OVER-joyed at these shows due to the quality that's poured into them since the animation revolution that happened after "Chowder!"

The "8-12 demographic" sounds like it intends on leaning toward a TV-Y7/TV-PG rating. No trouble at all!
surferaj, February 10, 2020 7:27 PM NST
Once again, TNT/JumpStart fails to approach their main audience. SAD, SAD, SAD....
maknaetani, February 10, 2020 9:55 PM NST
I'm tentatively excited about this. It sounds like a good marketing opportunity and also like something I might be interested in watching, but I worry about the quality of the show, especially in regards to not contradicting existing lore. So yeah, I'm looking forward to it, but I have my reservations
mavegibson, February 11, 2020 12:33 AM NST
As someone who doesn't have kids but still watches shows like Spongebob and Bubble Guppies religiously, I am completely unworried about the target demographic. They do need to get new users because it's that or milk us for all our cash and I'm not willing to open my wallet much more than I already have.
ziporen, February 11, 2020 4:15 AM NST
@dustin: Glad that I'm not the only one who looked into them.

Beach House Pictures doesn't have a good animation portfolio, which worried me, but apparently they aren't doing the animation. I -think- I know which studio is doing it, though, by looking at what else Blue Ant owns. If I'm right, then I will feel much better about the visual side.

Writing is a different matter, though. I think that we'll have to wait and see what exactly their plan is, unfortunately.
beyondelsewhere, February 11, 2020 5:57 AM NST
If they got the creators of Phinneas and Ferb on board this could be awesome.
gigiamore, February 11, 2020 6:41 AM NST
I second having plots turned into shows. They already have the comics to go by, that's basically free storyboards!

I don't care who it's aimed at, I'll watch it even though I am 30.

Hopefully the writing team will spend a bit of time familiarising themselves with the lore.
1jediboy, February 11, 2020 7:54 AM NST
β€œThey already have the comics to go by, that's basically free storyboards!β€œ

@gigiamore - OHH! That’s a BRILLIANT idea!

@beyondelsewhere - Ooh! They’d be good!
invader_of_worlds, February 11, 2020 9:51 AM NST
So is our jelly world movie gonna happen?
1jediboy, February 11, 2020 10:12 AM NST
^GLOB!!! I HOPE SO!!!!! 🀞🀞
maple_snow, February 11, 2020 1:13 PM NST
I believe a NeoQuest (I & II) series could be quite fascinating.
1jediboy, February 11, 2020 1:48 PM NST
^That SCREAMS "serialized" more than anything!