Every editorial question answered just a search away!
A searchable database of Neopets images
Take a tour of the entire planet of Neopia.

Read About the End of Flash Support
  • Posted on October 9, 2019, 12:03 pm NST

By now, you likely have heard about web browsers ending support for Flash, and perhaps have wondered what that means for Neopets. Since 1999, a sizable chunk of Neopets features and content have been built with Flash, and those still using Flash will not be usable once browsers like Chrome and Firefox remove support.

Since we've been getting many questions about the Flashpocalypse, we've prepared a detailed article explaining what's happening with Flash, how you can re-activate Flash if your browser has disabled it recently, and what's happening in the future.

Read About Flash Ending »

We encourage you to check out the article above to see if any questions you have are answered—and if they're not, ask them in the comments on this news post so we can update! We also encourage you to share this article with your fellow Neofriends if they have any questions about Flash ending.
bananas, 10/9/2019, 12:57 pm NST
So what does this mean for the Wardrobe of Jellyneo? I have had to use "allow flash" there. Will you change it to non flash as well?

novelista, 10/9/2019, 1:13 pm NST
Did iTunes (or whatever they're calling it now) get rid of Puffin, then? Because it's still available on Droid--I just re-downloaded it and used it the other day. (Not to mention that there are supposedly other mobile browsers that have the same functionality as Puffin.)

dave - JN Staff, 10/9/2019, 1:13 pm NST
@bananas: We're eagerly awaiting to see how Neopets updates their own customisation system before updating ours. We use the same Flash assets that you find on Neopets, so we don't have anything to update to right now. (And we're not very interested in generating our own Flash-free assets right now with change coming so soon...)

dave - JN Staff, 10/9/2019, 1:16 pm NST
@novelista: Yes, Puffin was discontinued on iOS devices for violating App Store policies. You can read more here: https://www.puffin.com/ios/puffin-web-browser/termination.php

jararaco, 10/9/2019, 2:59 pm NST
The Neopian pronunciation guide is flash-based too, maybe you could add it to the preservation list?

jararaco, 10/9/2019, 3:03 pm NST
It's awesome that Jellyneo is taking initiative to preserve history, thank you!

foxycleopatra, 10/9/2019, 6:54 pm NST
Excited to learn Jellyneo is going to attempt preserving the plot comics/animations!! Thank you for your hard work and dedication!!

dave - JN Staff, 10/9/2019, 7:49 pm NST
@jararaco: The pronunciation guide is on our list as well Our internal list is a little longer than what's listed there, but we're not sure if it's all possible.

1jediboy, 10/9/2019, 9:26 pm NST
What's going to happen to the animations in the Neopian Times like Neo_tomi's "The Pet Patrol Revolution" animations? Are they flash? Will they be converted if the users of those comics are long since gone? Will they just become broken images? Can somebody save them? That is important Neopian creativity that will blink out of existance if action is not taken!

"http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=161138&week=222"

dave - JN Staff, 10/9/2019, 10:35 pm NST
@jararaco: Your comment inspired me to throw something together this evening: https://bookofages.jellyneo.net/miscellanea/pronunciation-guide/

sliced_ramen, 10/9/2019, 11:32 pm NST
Thank you Dave and other JN Staff for this

apophis324, 10/10/2019, 4:48 am NST
Good think TNT is "hard at work" to make the website completely Flash-free then~! d-^ U^-b

alessia, 10/10/2019, 5:13 am NST
I really appreciate this article, thank you JN!!
Maybe this is the reason why it's almost 7-8 months that I can't use the customisation anymore. I can't load it and, even if I refresh 1billion times, I always get a flash error (I use FF 68 and have flash manually enabled). I couldn't even participate in your Costume Contest for the first time
In your mobile version preview I can see a bunch of games already converted, so I assume these games will be "soon" available on any browser, even for PC.

jessalynn, 10/10/2019, 8:44 am NST
What about Neoquests 1 and 2? What will happen to those games?

dave - JN Staff, 10/10/2019, 8:58 am NST
@jessalynn: Probably nothing, their core gameplay doesn't use Flash! There are some movies and cutscenes that use Flash, but we do plan on preserving those.

mzlish, 10/10/2019, 9:09 am NST
I am ready for Flash to go. Crazy how its now obsolete.

mzlish, 10/10/2019, 9:16 am NST
Aren't Neohomes Flash, also? I know its not something TNT said anything about converting.. but I DO hope its something they remake in the future. A lot of people enjoyed that part of the site.. even though I wasn't into the 2.0, I hope they do a 3.0

1jediboy, 10/10/2019, 10:54 am NST
But what about the NT videos, Dave?
(See question above)

dave - JN Staff, 10/10/2019, 1:58 pm NST
@1jediboy: No plans on salvaging user generated content. I don't think that's something we'd want to re-host here on Jellyneo without getting individual permission, and that's not a small project.

blue_star_51, 10/10/2019, 2:22 pm NST
How can we help JN with this effort? I would love to help, it makes me really sad to think some Flash content might be gone before you have the chance to convert it.

1jediboy, 10/10/2019, 2:23 pm NST
Nooooooo! 😩
I hope that they’re not flash! 😢

1jediboy, 10/10/2019, 2:52 pm NST
I agree with blue_star_51! How can we assist you? If we can save everything that’s going to go out, we should!

dave - JN Staff, 10/10/2019, 3:28 pm NST
@blue_star_51: If you have any technical video editing skills, then you may be able to help us out.

If so, drop a line: http://www.jellyneo.net/?go=contactus

We also have some other projects, such as old feature reproductions (like our Poogle Solitaire and Tower of Turnips remakes) that could serve as projects an individual could take on. If you have any experience with web development and would be interested in recreating an old Neopets experience, get in touch with me at the link above as well!

mistyraider, 10/11/2019, 10:08 am NST
@Dave & all JN Staff -- Thank you for all the work you put into preserving neopets past . I know it is done for love (not money) and I bet I speak for all of us in saying, "good job!" Lots of gratitude and kudos!

apophis324, 10/11/2019, 10:18 am NST
I like how Jellyneo is actively trying to save as much Neopian content as they can so it won't be fully lost to time when the next year rolls around

xamem, 10/11/2019, 7:01 pm NST
I'm so glad you all are working to preserve the comics. Those were a major part of my childhood and I'd be so sad if they disappeared for good

teresa, 10/12/2019, 12:08 am NST
Adding to the appreciation of your efforts to preserve the history. Thanks so much for everything you do!